Organ Pipes Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 29°S / 29.16670°E
Additional Information Route Type: Walking
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walking, but steep and difficult, mild altitude
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Access to the Little Berg is via Mike's Pass, a 10.5 km (6.5 miles) long jeep. The road is only open to 4x4 vehicles, ordinary sedans prohibited. In bad weather, rain or snow the road is impassable even to 4x4 vehicles. To walk it takes about two hours. The pass climbs some 500 m and ends at the Arendsig gate which is the starting point for Ndedema Gorge and the Organ Pipes Pass.

To avoid trudging up Mike's Pass (longer) ascents can be used West of Rainbow Gorge or the start of the Camel ascent is also suitable. One would then head east on the contour path to intersect the route description given below.

Route Description


At the head of the Mike's Pass path turn left (east) at the intersection with the contour path entering from Ndedema Gorge on the east. The start of the Organ Pipes Pass is off this path to Ndedema in a WSW direction and is signposted. Over about 6 km the path gains about 1000m in altitude, passing an assembly of spires and buttresses from which the path gets its name. On reaching the summit of the escarpment at Ndumeni Dome Cleft peak is the first prominent weak to the West on the escarpment.

Essential Gear


Ordinary hiking gear, overnight gear and snow gear if winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.