Ostler/Spread Eagle Traverse

Ostler/Spread Eagle Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.74670°N / 110.7681°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 24, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
I've been meaning to climb Ostler Peak for years, and I finally reached the summit on a spectacular hike/scramble over Ostler and Spread Eagle Peaks. From the Christmas Meadows trailhead, the loop over both peaks is 16.5 miles (11.3 miles of trail and 5.2 miles of scrambling) and involves about 5000 ft of total elevation gain.

I arrived at the trailhead at 6 AM expecting a parking lot full of cars (this should be the busy season) to find only 3 vehicles. I hiked to the crossing of Ostler Creek 5.2 miles in and walked southwest through open forests to the start of Ostler's north ridge.

Ostler Peak, North RidgeMoving up the north ridge of Ostler


Fun scrambling took me to the summit at 6.6 miles (cumulative mileage). Views in all directions were outstanding, especially looking east all the way to Kings Peak over the rugged basins and ridges of the western half of the Uintas.

View East from Ostler PeakView east from summit of Ostler


The ridge over to Spread Eagle was only 2 miles long but took a couple of hours; the terrain is loose, and there are some cliff bands to work through on the west ridge of Ostler.

West Ridge of Ostler PeakThe west ridge of Ostler


The roughest part of the day was steep drop down the north ridge of Spread Eagle; you lose 1900 ft of elevation in .6 of a mile. The terrain is very unstable and time consuming to negotiate.

Spread Eagle Peak, North RidgeLooking down the north ridge of Spread Eagle


Spread Eagle Peak, North RidgeAbout 2/3 of the way down, looking back up


At the bottom of the ridge, I worked my way down to the stream running out of the basin between Ostler and Spread Eagle, and I followed it west through the woods down to Stillwater Fork. At 10.4 miles, I met up with the trail and hiked the six miles down-valley back to the car. Fantastic day; round trip was 9 hrs.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Aug 26, 2011 7:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Way Cool

Looks like a really cool trip...have to give it a try! Did notice the coordiantes were in China (forgot the - on the lat?)

jhardink

jhardink - Aug 28, 2011 1:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way Cool

Thanks for the heads up- fixed!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ostler PeakTrip Reports
 
Spread Eagle PeakTrip Reports