Backcountry Access Companion System Shovel-Probe

 

Backcountry Access Companion System Shovel-Probe
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Backcountry Access Companion System Shovel-Probe
Manufacturer Backcountry Access
Page By awagher
Page Type Mar 30, 2005 / Jan 25, 2007
Object ID 1285
Hits 8794
Vote
Description of Backcountry Access Companion System Shovel/Probe :



The BCA Companion System is comprised of a remarkably lightweight shovel (either extendable or fixed) and a compact probe. The shovel blade is made from high-grade aluminum and the shaft has an oval shape to increase its prying strength and to fit ergonomically in a gloved hand. The probe, 6' (1.8m) extendable, fits inside the shovel shaft for efficient storage and packing. The whole thing weighs a paltry 1lb 14oz with fixed shovel and 2lbs 4oz with extendable.



Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

awagher - Mar 30, 2005 2:35 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a great shovel/probe combo. The Probe fits in the shaft of the shovel and easily pulls out to extend to 6'. The shovel head is very strong. I sharpened the edge of mine to cut through icy crust more easily. Makes for a great cooking platform too. The length of the shovel is perfect for digging without having to bend over too far. The system is light enough without compromising strength.

bigwilly - Apr 12, 2005 3:58 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is a great shovel/probe combo and is a very affordable way to purchase these two essential pieces of avalanche safety gear. It's lightweight but is still large enough for large loads. However, the paint on the shovel comes off very easily, and the shovel is very easy to dent. Not as rugged and durable as other products.

Ed F - Jun 12, 2005 12:03 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I've used this combo for a few seasons. The shovel is great, and the telescoping shovel piece adds a lot of length for digging tent platform, digging out your car, etc. For digging in avy debris, it is much stronger in its shorter form.



One drawback - the probe is a little shorter than many others on the market.

travisgollaher - Jan 6, 2006 7:34 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a very handy little but tough snow Shovel-Probe I like the ability to use it as a dead ancor and as a last resort piece of pro. It is very durable and will handle anything but ice. The probe is very easy to use and it doesent get loose while in use it is very sturdy. I bought it for its multi purpose uses.If I lose it I would replace it no question.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4