Custom made overboots

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Custom made overboots
Manufacturer Marco Salazar (Ecuadorian guide)
Page By Boriss Andean
Page Type Oct 18, 2007 / Oct 18, 2007
Object ID 4135
Hits 4679
Vote

Rubber sole waterproof overboots made in Ecuador.

I've tried a few good brands of overboots, from OR to Mountain Hardwear, but so far these custom made overboots have given me maximun protection and warmth in extreme conditions in most of my trips in the Andes.

They are easy to put on in the cold, have a narrow profile, and for me they are one of the warmest products of their type. They have a rubber walking sole made of truck tire tube and work with most strap-on crampons. It does however require some modification for rigid step-in crampons. The uppers are a breathable, windproof, coated nylon to minimize condensation. 5.5mm, stretchy, closed cell nylon coated neoprene wraps around and under the entire foot, which is the key to warm feet when wearing crampons. The front closure VelcroOs and snaps all the way to the toes so you can easily adjust your laces, and they have a drawstring at the top. Seams are stitched and cemented.


Features

- Narrow profile
- Compatible with most Strap-On Crampons
- Closed cell nylon coated neoprene
- Front closure velcroOs and snaps all the way to the toes
- Drawstring at the top
- Seams are stitched and cemented

Price:

- I bought a pair of custom made overboots directly from Marco Salazar. It takes a week to design one that fits your boot. You also can choose between black, red, and blue colors. Price was USD. 35.00.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Ario - Sep 26, 2008 11:08 am - Voted 5/5

true story !
For my 2005 trip to Ecuador, in order to travel light I chose to go with only one pair of footwear the whole trip, both for cities and summits: opted for my very comfortable Millet Alti (heavy trekking leather boots) rigid enough for crampons, yet flexible enough to run with, but with minor insulation (isotherm 0C according to Millet ). On Chimborazo I took the inner soles out to free room for my 2 thick pairs of sox and added these Ecuadorian made not insulated over-boots (kind of Climb High Super Gaiters but with out the “Thinsulate” layer) for wind protection. @ - 15C + wind I reached the limit for this combination. Yet, they enabled me to reach the true summit of Chimborazo (this included a long basin traverse in slushy snow) which would have been impossible with my leather boots alone. Definitely worth the $30 I paid Marco Salazar in Ambato!
See a picture of these overboots at the following address:
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=361781

BLong - Oct 5, 2009 11:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Sounds cool
You should put some photos up!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2