K2 Shuksan

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title K2 Shuksan
Manufacturer K2
Page By kheatwol
Page Type Aug 1, 2005 / Aug 1, 2005
Object ID 1383
Hits 23735
Vote
Swiss Guide and owner of Pro Guiding Service, Martin Volken, approached K2 years ago about building a randonnée ski for serious ski mountaineering. It needed to be lightweight for blitzing the routes he was pioneering in Washington's Cascades, but also rock solid for tackling imposing first descents such as Spider Mountain's Arachnophobia. So we built him a ski: two sheets of metal, stout flex, lightweight, and extremely versatile. He approved and called it the "Shuksan," which is Nooksack Indian for "steep and rugged." Nice choice, Martin.

POSITIONING.....50% Hard Snow / 50% Soft Snow SIDECUT.....16.0mm DIMENSIONS.....114-78-105 WEIGHT.....1450 grams (174cm) SIZES.....181 INSERTS.....No

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

kheatwol - Aug 1, 2005 1:38 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The only reason I can't give these guys a 5 star is because I haven't skied them in pow yet. I bought them late-season last year and never had the chance!



They seem to do just fine in everthing else. I have skied them at a resort and backcountry and I am very pleased with their performance. It's not the lightest AT ski in the world but it is not really that heavy either.



If you are looking for an agressive ski that will do well in the backcountry and be just fine at the resort, this could be your ski.

lizrdboy - Mar 19, 2007 4:15 am - Voted 5/5

One Ski
I wanted one pair of skis to do anything. So far the Shuksans fit the bill. They float great in powder and hold tight on pack. They practically turn themselves, and stay solid at higher speeds. In fact, I skied them as hard as I could and could not find their limits (I'm not in super shape though). Certainly the best ski I've tried.

Ed F - Jan 25, 2008 4:23 pm - Voted 4/5

Very Versatile
I use these skis as my all-around touring rig. Combined with sturdy boots and freeride bindings, the Shuksan provides a great platform for ski mountaineering, general touring, and steep couloir descents. They edge really well, and turn initiation is easy. They don't do great in deep powder, but the new model has a "shovel" on the tips that improve on older versions.

I took these for a day of resort skiing recently to test them out at speed, and I was surprised at how well they did ripping turns at high speed. For a fairly light ski, they didn't chatter or pull at all at speed.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3