Kailas

 

Kailas
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Kailas
Manufacturer Atomic
Page By T Sharp
Page Type Mar 23, 2008 / Mar 23, 2008
Object ID 5154
Hits 13162
Vote

Atomic Kailas Tele/AT Ski

The Atomic Kailas is a foam core mid fat tele/AT ski designed to be responsive and stable in a variety of snow conditions. The "beta magnesium" cap design offers a rigid torsional flex for precise edge control, while the soft longitudinal flex give it good float in powder. With 88mm under foot the ski is very stable in turn initiation and at high speed.

* Weight per pair: 8 lb 8 oz
* Dimensions: 126 / 88 / 109 millimeters
* Sizes Available: 163, 174, 185
* Construction: Beta Magnesium Tour Cap
* Core: Densolite Foam
* Base: Graphite sintered
* Tail: Raised [not twin tip]
* Recommended Binding: Any telemark or AT binding
* Recommended Use: Touring, backcountry skiing, backcountry freeriding
all mountain freeride.
* Manufacturer Warranty: 1 Year

 
























Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

T Sharp - Mar 23, 2008 4:44 pm - Voted 5/5

Atomic Kailas Tele Ski
The Atomic Kailas is considered by many to be the best all around telemark ski available on the market today. Now I know that is saying a lot, but it can be simply and truthfully stated that the Kailas does everything you would want a ski to do very well. It might not be the absolute best at holding ice, but is skis ice very well. It might not be at the pinnacle of deep powder ease, but it skis the deep like a dream. And there might be better groomer skis, but for when you are being lazy, they perform effortlessly.

The wide tip busts through crud and manky masked potatoes with out being deflected, This ski is very stable at speed, with no wavering of the tips, in fact since I bought this ski, I have been considering getting a helmet, because I ski a whole lot faster than I ever did before. The long and short of it is that the Kailas does more things very well than any other ski I have tried.

The kailas likes GS type turns, but will go from edge to edge quick enough to make tight radius turns in the steeps, or when you are trying to get the most out of that low angle powder filled meadow. There is also a substantial enough tail that it will not punish you if you get in the back seat a bit.

An all around great performer, in all snow conditions, the Kailas is a sure bet for the aggressive tele skier.
I weigh 150 lbs, and ski the 174`s, heavier and lighter skiers should adjust up and down accordingly.

With a foam core, I was a bit worried about durability, but I have been assured by reps that the "Densolite Foam" is far more durable and resilient than the old injection type foams. We shall see!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1