Tikka Plus

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Tikka Plus
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By
Page Type Oct 8, 2003 / Oct 8, 2003
Object ID 832
Hits 4200
Vote
Three brightness settings and a strobe option
Recessed, glove-friendly button won't accidentally turn on in your pack
Ratchet-style tilt option with molded light block to minimize glare
Estimated battery life: 400 hours (flash) to 80 hours (max)
Four LED bulbs
Range: 30 ft. (10 m.)
Colored lenses sold separately
Includes three AAA batteries
Weight: 78 gm. (includes battery weight)

Reviews


Viewing: 1-10 of 10

William Marler - Oct 9, 2003 8:43 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I tried one of these on my last trip out west. It weighs nothing. If the batteries and light lasts as long as promised it is a great item. As the previous reviewer mentions compared to the older Petzl this is a great weight saver. I was testing someone elses but I am definately picking one up for my next trip. There is even a model that weighs less than this one and has only a thin wire to go around your head. Cheers William

markradford - Dec 11, 2003 1:08 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The Tikka Plus is a great improvement on the already good Tikka. Petzl have taken the comments from reviews and made some practical changes to the design.



What you buy a head torch is the light - great quality in the beam, sort of takes a little time to get used to from a standard bulb, but you quickly appreaciate its uniform light pattern. (This is on full strength) For walking on mixed ground and trail the depth definition is a bit lacking to a halogen, but on snow and ice this really comes into its own with quite a natural light feel to it. The reflected light off snow and ice does compensate for its slight lack of power to its traditional counterpart.



The adjustable light intensity is a great battery saver and great for in camp. The additional of a flashing mode has to be a positive, although unless directed straight at a rescuer in the dark, provides more comfort to the person in trouble than any actual practical benefit.



The adjustable mount is helpful although not as versatile as many others on the market.



In a nutshell, does what is says on the pack, great build quality and performance. Better on snow and ice and in camp rather than a dark woody trail. For three AAA batteries and weighing 70g its a great piece of kit - not going back to anything else.

bustinmins - Jun 12, 2005 10:03 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Exellent quality, light weight and adjustable settings really make this my primary general use headlamp. I think it is excellent choice for climbing a familar route or backpacking a nice trail. If you think you'll be searching for your route, say coming down from a summit or doing multiple raps looking for anchors, then I'd pick a different Petzl light - say the Myo-5 or Myo-3.

martin020 - Jul 4, 2005 6:28 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is the first headlamp I have had, and I originally bought it for the price, which is more than reasonable. I quickly bagan to admire the extreme lack of bulk to the headlamp, at under 3 ounces you will wonder if you packed it, and the little lamp is extremely durable ( it had been dropped many times). There are three brightness settings, and contains four LED bulbs that work extremely well. The battery life is said to be up to 120 hours, but I think it is more than that. The only problem I had was it turned off one night in a cool drizzle in the Olympic National Park, which leads me to believe the water had a small effect on it. It hasn't happened since though. Great buy, definately suggest getting it to anyone.

Alan Ellis - Sep 23, 2005 9:31 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
For pre-dawn start on class 3 or below, this lamp is highly recommended. I was surprised by the amount of light generated by the LEDs. The light weight plus the amount of light makes this my primary headlamp.

tommi - Jan 24, 2007 6:05 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Thats Petzl , always well considered equipment, and so is the Tikka Plus, The only point of criticism is the closure technology to change batteries with cold fingers, but thats to ignore by that low consumption

BSPclimber - Feb 3, 2007 6:51 am - Hasn't voted

useful light
A great light, weighs next to nothing, very durable so far, plenty of light for most situations you could find yourself in. I even use it for night rides on my mountain bike (road only, it doesnt give off enough light for nighttime trail rides). Recommended.

awilsondc - Jul 25, 2007 12:27 am - Voted 5/5

Amazing!
When I bought my first headlamp, a Petzl Myo 3, I wanted a headlamp good enough that I would never need to buy another one. I used that one for a couple years until my ever so thoughtful mother bought my a Tikka Plus as a present. At first I thought, great I'm never going to use thing thing... but then I let my friend borrow it when we went on a midnight hike and the thing was so bright it blew me away!!! Not to mention it's sooooo much lighter than the Myo 3. I would highly recommend this headlamp. Lightweight, bright, easy to use, and good battery life.

nartreb - Dec 14, 2007 2:30 pm - Hasn't voted

quite good
Previously I carried a Tikka as my primary light, with a small maglite as a backup, and kept another flashlight for my glove compartment. After seeing how much brighter and more reliable the Tikka was compared to the flashlights, I decided to ditch the flashlights. I now use a Tikka Plus for hiking and keep another in the car, and I kept the old Tikka for a hiking backup. (I don't bother carrying spare batteries, I just carry the spare Tikka. No real difference in size or weight.)

The Tikka Plus keeps everything good about the Tikka, (tiny size, negligible weight, good brightness, great battery life even in winter) and allows a choice of brightness modes.
Personally, I'd rather just have two modes: low and high. Those are the only ones I use, and eliminating the extra modes would make the Plus easier to use.

It's not the answer to every climber's dreams: even in bright mode the Tikka Plus won't illuminate the far end of your rope. But for camping, hiking, climbing easy/familiar routes, and general/emergency use, it's fantastic.

Josh Lewis - Feb 6, 2012 2:56 am - Voted 5/5

Very Nice
So far it's been pretty good to me. The battery lasts a decent amount of time, and a nice soft button. I've used head lamps in the past that either jam up on the turn on button or turn on in the pack making me have to go down the mountain in the dark. But this one has given me the least hassles of any headlamp I've used.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10