Z-lite regular

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Z-lite regular
Manufacturer Therm-a-rest
Page By dspal
Page Type Nov 13, 2004 / Nov 13, 2004
Object ID 1164
Hits 6267
Vote
This is the most compact, lightest weight, full-length closed-cell foam pad Therm-a-Rest® makes.



This mattress is engineered for extreme alpine climbing, adventure racing and long-distance backpacking when reducing weight and bulk are paramount



Accordion-style design lies flat instantly and folds up into a small package quickly and easily



Closed-cell foam withstands years of use and abuse



Egg-carton pattern increases softness and adds isulation by trapping warm air under your sleeping bag

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

dspal - Nov 13, 2004 8:27 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I was very suprised not to see a Z-rest reviewed here yet so I had to add it...Still like the closed cell foam pads the best...super light, super durable...Many emergency uses as well--imprompto casts and such...I have used both the z-rest design and the roll-up design as well and I like the accordian style better as it folds up and will stay folded up on its own and not un-roll...a seemingly simple product but this is the best design/construction I've come across so far...

tarol - Feb 9, 2006 5:02 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I use my Z-lite regular when I want extra insulation. It is not cushy enough for me to use by itself but it is dynamite at adding insulation and thus keeping me warm when I use it with my Therm-rest UL or Insul Mat Max Thermo during the colder months of the year.

kwag - Apr 12, 2007 12:34 am - Voted 5/5

gets the job done
It isn't as comfortable as my inflatable therma-rest but it is a lot lighter and works. I slept with it on frozen ground and only got cold when I wiggled off of the pad, so it keeps you warm. Not the most comfortable, but if you hiked hard enough that shouldn't matter, right?

plain zero - Jun 5, 2007 6:36 pm - Voted 4/5

too heavy?
I've taken my Z-lite out on 2 multiday trips. It's not terribly comfortable but I can live with that. I like the way it folds up in a snap, and unfolds and lays perfectly flat. However, at 15 ounces it's 1/3 heavier than the standard blue polypad that REI sells. The accordian design is nice, but it is worth the extra 5 ounces? Does the egg carton pattern really make it warmer?

mibu - Oct 30, 2009 10:39 am - Voted 5/5

Re: too heavy?
Egg carton pattern keeps air trapped between your body and the pad. Air is one of the best nature's insulator and this design benefits from it. Air insulation has many applications, one example could be the PVC windows.

Tsuyoshi - Mar 4, 2009 7:04 am - Voted 5/5

perfect for summer!
i was given the full length version for my birthday and immediately cut it down to 3/4 size. i use my backpack for my feet an sleep on the pad, this not only is comfortable (well comfortable enough), but also saves the extra few ounces of extra pad.

mine looks like it's been though a couple of wars as it is torn and scratched and dirty, but it still keeps going. it's been though too much devils club and side alder to be around still but somehow it defies the odds.

this is the best pad you can get for your money. the blue pads might be lighter but these seem like extreme comfort compared to those, and the few extra ounces are worth SOME comfort to me. for summer time or spring when you know you'll be camping off snow, this is the best pad there is, for the weight that is.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6