Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.45486°S / 168.73489°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 24, 2009
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Summitted via Northwest ridge 'The ramp' on January 24th

Paul Rechatin, Pascal Rechatin and Marty Beare our guide from Mount Aspiring guide summitted on January 24th Via the Ramp/Northwest Ridge.

When we were planning for this trip people kept talking to us about 'fly in walk out' or 'walk in walk out', it is only when we arrived to New Zealand Southern Island for the first time that we realised the scale of the mountains ( even though their altitude is relatively small they are huge ) and the remotenesss of the climbing areas. Think something between the Alps and the Himalayas but definetely much much bigger than the French Alps even though altitudes are typically smaller.

Based on this experience, Fly in Walk out seems to be a good compromise . You need to walk the Matukituki at least once as it is really spectacular...twice could get a little lengthy...especially if you are short on time.
Pascal Rechatin




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount AspiringTrip Reports