Peekaboo Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.60757°N / 112.1569°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peekaboo Loop is in my opinion, the most scenic trail in Bryce Canyon National Park. The loop sits near the bottom of Bryce Canyon and is usually accessed via a connecting trail that goes into Bryce Canyon from Bryce Point on the rim of the canyon. Peekaboo Loop is also accessible/can be combined with Navajo Loop and Queens Garden Trails. Famous landmarks in the area include Wall of Windows and The Cathedral.

Peekaboo Loop is a hiking and horse riding trail. Be prepared to deal with horse droppings on the trail.






MapMap



Getting There

From Bryce Canyon Visitor Center drive 1.5 miles south until you see the sign for Bryce Point. Turn east and follow the road to Bryce Point parking area. Parking is limited. Come early or take the park shuttle.

Route Description

Hike Statistics:
Bryce Point to Peekaboo Loop and back to Bryce Point = 5.2 miles (see map above)
Highest elevation (Bryce Point) = 8300 ft
Lowest elevation (Connection to Navajo Loop) = 7450 ft



From Bryce Point Parking lot, follow the signed trail below the rim of the canyon. The trail soon splits. Right is “Under the Rim Trail”. Make a left onto the connector trail to Peekaboo Loop. You will have great views of Bryce Canyon. Boat Mesa will be visible to the north.



Bryce Canyon/Boat MesaBryce Canyon, Boat Mesa seen



The view of the nearby hoodoos is incredible.



Incredible



The trail then goes through a man made tunnel.



TunnelTunnel



And continues to descend into the canyon.








On the Connecting Trail
On the Connecting Trail
On the Connecting Trail
Bryce Canyon



If you pay attention, you will be able to see the formation known as the “Wall of Windows”. From this view point, however, the sky will not be seen through the windows and the formation does not appear as spectacular as it will later on the trail.



Wall of WindowsWall of Windows



After 1.1 miles (and roughly 550 vertical feet down), you will reach the junction with Peekaboo Loop. You could go in either direction around the loop. This description takes you in a clockwise manner.

Take a left turn onto Peekaboo Loop and go around a horse corral to a high point.






On the west arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the west arm of Peekaboo Loop



You will now be at the base of Wall of Windows.




Wall of WindowsWall of Windows



To the northeast of Wall of Windows, a sea of hoodoos create a structure known as The Cathedral.






The CathedralThe Cathedral
The CathedralThe Cathedral



Another look at Wall of Windows.





A portion of Wall of Windows Wall of Windows



The trail then makes a series of switchbacks and over the next mile, goes up and down among the hoodoos quite a few times.






Looking Down the SwitchbacksLooking up the switchbacks
Looking up the SwitchbacksLooking down the switchbacks



In one place, the trail goes through a man made tunnel.





Man-made tunnel on the trailTunnel



More hoodoos in every direction.








On the west arm of Peekaboo Trail
On the west arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the west arm of Peekaboo Trail
On the west arm of Peekaboo Loop



The trail then goes through a narrow gap.



The GapThe Gap



And then makes a few switchbacks and goes down to the bottom of Bryce Canyon where it reaches the junction with a short connecting trail to Navajo Loop and Queens Garden Trails.





Peekaboo Loop
Peekaboo Loop



Turn right to continue on Peekaboo Loop. The trail starts to go uphill again.








On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop



It then reaches a high point where part of Bryce Canyon Amphitheater will be visible to the north and Bryce Point to the south.






On the east arm of Peekaboo LoopLooking north
On the east arm of Peekaboo LoopBryce Point, looking south



The trail then starts a slow downhill among the hoodoos.








On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop
On the east arm of Peekaboo Loop



Once the trail crosses a dry streambed, a final uphill begins again. You will soon have another great view of the Wall of Windows and The Cathedral.






Wall of WindowsWall of Windows
The CathedralThe Cathedral



The trail then reaches the junction with the connecting trail to Bryce Point. You will have to hike 550 vertical feet back up the trail to reach Bryce Point.

Red Tape

You must pay park entrance fee.

No permits required for day hikes. For all rules and regulations see the official park site:
http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

Weather Forecast

Forecast.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.