Pete's Creek Trailhead # 858

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.48890°N / 123.74°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Difficulty: Class 1 with very mild class 2 section
Distance: 8 miles round-trip
Elevation Gain: 3300 feet

Reaching Pete's Creek Trailhead takes a little more navigation than getting the the Colonel Bob Trailhead, although it is not too difficult, with that being said. To reach the Pete's Creek Trailhead you will want to follow Highway 101 North until you reach FS Road # 2220. Take a right onto FS #2220, from here you will follow this road until you reach FS Road #2280, take a right onto #2280. Follow #2280 until you reach FS Road #2204. You will take a left turn onto this road and will follow it for about 7 miles until you reach the trailhead. The sign at the trailhead will read Pete's Creek Trail No. 858. There used to be a quicker way to reach the trailhead but that road has washed out and has been out of service for quite some time.

Route Description

Following Pete's Creek trail is generally a quicker route than taking the "Colonel Bob trail." You will meet up with the "Colonel Bob trail" at approximately 2.5 - 3 miles. From there it is just over a mile to reach the summit. The route to the summit is not very fantastic as far as views are concerned. For the first 3 miles or so you will mainly be hiking through Old Growth Rainforest, after that the trail opens up a little to an occasional meadow and more views of some of the canyons nearby. Still nothing super fantastic until you reach the summit. This trail is probably more enjoyable overall as it has less switchbacks than the "Colonel Bob trail." Although both trails have their fair share. Flies can be a problem in August. This trail gains about 3300 feet in just over 4 miles, so it is considered a "strenuous" hike.

Essential Gear

For the summer months I would only recommend food, water, bug spray, and maybe some water purifying tablets.

For the winter months I would definately recommend the basic winter clothing and snowshoes. Although I would definately check with the Park Service to see what they recommend as I have not climbed this peak successfully in the Winter due to not having the proper equipment (i.e. tennis shoes and blue jeans don't work well in Winter).

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.