Pic Nord du Clot des Cavales > South-East Ridge

Pic Nord du Clot des Cavales > South-East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.98148°N / 6.31388°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Easy and beautiful climb on solid granit rock - 200m
Approach : 3h00 / Climb : 1h30
Full descent : 3h30

Once on top, you have a beautiful view of la Meije, le RĂ¢teau and la Grande Ruine.

A delight for those climbers wanting to start with an easy route to get use the Ecrins area. Good as well, for those to test themselves on climbing autonomously.



Getting There

> From Refuge du Chatelleret, walk up to the Col du Clot des Cavales (2h30),
then keep on to the bottom of the South Ridge (0h30)

> Some snow, with a very steep final part to reach the Col du Clot des Cavales.
Then you walk on the top part of the Glacier du Clot des Cavales.


Route Description

Pic N Clot des Cavales (South ridge)

You start with a long slab up a small breach.
Then turn on your right to properly start with the ridge.
The path is then quite obvious up to the top.
A few piton are there to provide you with direction and safety ;o)

Some parts are very easy II climbing, some part requires a bit more attention with level III. Anyhow, all the way up is a beautiful and relaxing climb.

On your way down, you take the same path. A couple of belays are useful to go the III parts.
You can avoid going on the Glacier section by using 3 belays. But the spot is not easy to find. My best suggestion is to ask at the Refuge du Chatelleret.

Enjoy !

Pic N Clot des Cavales

Essential Gear

Crampons + ice axe
Ropes : 50m is enough, but 2 ropes of 50m can be useful to be faster on the way down
A few slings and quickdraws necessary. No friends needed.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.