Practically Roadside

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11437°N / 73.90628°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

FA: Kevin MudRat MacKenzie, Loren Swears on 2020 June 26.

Stout climb with a short overhang, good feet, and a deep crack.

Practically Roadside in Panther Gorge

Location

See Panther Gorge

Cliff: Panther Den, Mt. Marcy.

Start: Start as if for Castle Column between a shallow right-facing corner and the large column at the head of the Panther Den.

Descent: Rappel from stout trees or walkoff.

Route Description

P1 5.9 G: Climb along the left side of the column to an alcove at its top. Step left to a gully from the top of the column then traverse right to gain the obvious finger-crack that dissects an overhanging bulge. Critical placement of a #6 stopper in the crack before the traverse. Follow the crack past two small chockstones then make an awkward move into a short off-width. Climb to a terrace then step left and climb the arête to its top.

Take the crack directly from the alcove to up the grade.

Essential Gear

Small to midsize gear.

Critical placement of a #6 stopper in the crack before the traverse.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.