Punta Capitellu (Corsica)

Punta Capitellu (Corsica)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.21336°N / 9.00514°E
Additional Information County: Haute Corse
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7365 ft / 2245 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Restonica Valley (Corsica)

Punta Capitellu (Pointe Capitello in French) is located at the very end of the Restonica Valley above the dark blue Lac de Capitello. This rocky peak was at the top of an ancient glacier valley. The withdrawal of the glacier left two splendid lake (Melo and Capitello) surrounded by sharp summits made of strong granit.

Punta Capitellu is an easy ascent, with only a few grade II steps on the final ridge (north side) before reaching the summit. In summer the area is quite crowded as they access to both lakes is easy, but as soon as you start walking up to the pass called Brèche de Goria, you will be lonely and quiet.
Note that the fore-summit of Punta Capitellyu(around 2100m - located east of the main summit) offers good climbing in grade 4 and 5.

This peak and its surrounding area is part of the Parc Naturel de Corse (Natural Park Of Corsica), it is therefore forbidden to camp and all trashes must be carried back with you. Wildlife over there are mainly ibexes and chocards. It can be climbed all year, but I would not recommend it if there is snow on the final ridge as it could become slippery and dangerous.

Getting There and Staying

Lac de Melu (1711m)
Punta Capitellu (2245m - South Face)

The closest town from the Restonica Valley (where the Punta Capitellu lies) is Corte. You will find food, petrol and accommodation anywhere in town.
Seven campgrounds can be found there.

Corte can be reached by car :
- from Bastia with road N193 (70 kms / 1h10)
- from Porto with road D84 (90 kms / 1h40)
- from Ajaccio with road N193 (80 kms / 1h30)

Once you are in Corte :
Drive South-West on road D623 into the Restonica valley. After 15 kms you will reach the car park (5€ for the day - no other way to park). It takes about 30-40 minutes. The view is spectacular !



Ascent of Punta Capitellu - North ridge

Punta Capitellu (2245m - East Face)
Climbers on Capitellu (Corsica)


From the car park (1370m) at the end of road D623, walk 1h to reach the Lac de Melo (1711m). Then head north on the trail to hike up towards Lac de Capitello (1930m).
After 30 min, before seeing the lake on your left, keep walking north towards the pass called Brèche de Goria (2143m).

You won't see the pass at first, you need enter this large gully to see it on top. It takes about an hour on a rough trail little marked.
But the way is easy to find, as the pass is straight above.

Once you are the pass head south to reach the bottom of the north ridge of Punta Capitellu. The ascent is easy with only a few grade II steps.
But it is aerial on some parts, a great attention is therefore required, especially on the way down, as the path uses the same way.

3D Map of Punta Capitellu



General information

Restonica creek
Corsican Chocard

Clothing & Equipement:
As the sun can be strong, where a hat and sun cream as the ascent is 3h long. In winter you will need warm equipment despite the low altitude, as snow storm can occur on the mountains of Corsica due to the closeness of the Mediterranean sea.
Hiking shoes are enough, yet if you go with a beginner not used to aerial ridges, a bit of rope might reassure the person !

Map :
The most accurate is the IGN Top 25 with a 1:25.000 scale.
4251OT - Monte d'Oro / Monte Rotondo

Book :
If you decide to hike on the GR20 trail, the best book is :
A travers la montagne Corse printed by the Fédération Française de Randonnée Pédestre (ISBN : 2751401732)

Weather :
Meteo France on Corte

Further information on the area :
Office du Tourisme de Corte
Vallée de la Restonica




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RestonicaMountains & Rocks