Ribbon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99477°N / 108.64254°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ribbon Trail sits in Bangs Canyon recreation Area just outside the boundaries of Colorado National Monument. If you ever made a page for Bangs Canyon, please let me know so that I can attach this page to it. The trail is often used by mountain bikers as a one way downhill path. It starts at Ribbon Trailhead on Little Park Road on top of Glade Park Plateau and goes down slick-rock slopes into a canyon. You can eventually exit the canyon to reach Little Park Trailhead on Little Park Road or continue downhill on Andy’s Loop Trail. If you stay in the canyon, you will reach the top of a dry waterfall several tens of feet tall at the boundary of Colorado National Monument. I did not see any way of hiking down this waterfall to reach Echo Canyon Trail at the bottom of the falls.



Getting There

Ribbon Trailhead and Little Park Road both sit on Little Park Road in Grand Junction Colorado. See map above.

Route Description

This is a description of the hike from Ribbon Trailhead down to the top of the dry waterfall where the hike dead ends. You will then back track half a mile to reach a trail that allows you to exit the canyon to Little Park Trailhead on Little Park Road. When I did this hike, cairns identified the route.

Place
Elevation
Distance
Ribbon Trailhead
6640 ft
zero miles
Jct. with trail to Little Park Road
5220 ft
3.0 miles
Top of dry waterfall
5100 ft
0.50 miles
Back to Jct. with trail to Little Park Road
5220 ft
0.50 miles
Little Park Trailhead
5540 ft
0.90 miles
Total One Way
-
4.90 miles



At Ribbon Trailhead, follow the signed Ribbon Trail northeast through a juniper forest on red dirt. You will soon reach a vast slab of slick-rock. The city of Grand Junction will be in view.

Grand Junction and slickrock slope
Grand Junction and slickrock slope


Canyons on the edges of the slick-rock.

Side canyon


The slick-rock becomes a narrow peninsula.

Slickrock penninsula


You will then have to go down a steep red colored slick-rock slope. I actually had to sit to get down. I am not sure how bikers get down this area. This spot is apparently called “Toilet Bowl”.

The spot known as  Toilet Bowl
The spot known as  Toilet Bowl


Another large slick-rock slope.

Slickrock slope


The slick-rock funnels into a narrow corridor.

Slickrock corridor
Slickrock corridor


Cairns will then guide you out of the corridor up a slope where canyons can be seen below.

side canyon
Side canyon


Continuing down the dirt slope to the bottom of a canyon.

Lower Ribbon Trail
Lower Ribbon Trail


After 3 miles, you will reach a signed trail that will take you out of the canyon to Little Park Road. It is worth it to continue down the canyon another half a mile to the top of the dry waterfall.

Lower Ribbon Trail


Continuing down the canyon.

in canyon above dry waterfall
In canyon above dry waterfall

In canyon above dry waterfall


You will then reach the top of a dry waterfall several tens of feet tall. Echo Canyon Trail starts at the bottom of the dry falls. Reaching there, requires technical skills and equipment.

Top of dry waterfall
Top of dry waterfall


Back track half a mile and go up the trail that gets you out of the canyon. Looking back into the canyon.

Exiting the canyon to Little Park Rd.
Exiting the canyon to Little Park Rd.


The trail crosses Little Park road. I actually hiked a short distance uphill along the road to reach Little Park Trailhead. Great view of Grand Mesa from Little Park Trailhead.

Grand Mesa


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.