Rocca Pumaciolo and Monte Sillara Winter Circuit

Rocca Pumaciolo and Monte Sillara Winter Circuit

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery, Panorama

ROCCA PUMACIOLO AND MONTE SILLARA WINTER CIRCUIT

Monte Sillara summit cairn
The images relate a fine winter circuit starting from Lagoni Hut mt. 1342, situated nearby the Lower Twin Lake’s shore (Lago Gemio Inferiore) inside the superb fir and and beech’s forest named “Foresta Alta Val Parma”, and leading across Pumaciolo Saddle to Rocca Pumaciolo summit mt. 1711 and afterwards to Monte Sillara summit mt. 1861, the highest point of Parmese Apennine. From there the trail, named 00, follows the boundary ridge between Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany, reaching Paitini Pass and crossing the secluded valley where is situated "The Snow’s Great Hole"; the name of this natural cave is due to the snow always persisting - even during the very hot summers - inside the great hole hidden in the little valley. In last century's beginning the sheperds used it to keep food fresh.
After a steep descent to Dark Lake’s Huts mt. 1520, the trail crosses a dense beech’s forest, finally going back to the starting point.
In winter time the circuit takes about 4 hours by walking and requires the use of axe and crampons.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.