Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14427°N / 118.5051°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12840 ft / 3914 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

What stands out about this "peak" is the views of the Palisades; as Secor put it in his guide "There is an awesome summit view of the Palisades." Climb it in the early morning light before continuing to Cloudripper or make it an evening hike from camp at one of the Big Pine Lakes or Baker Lake. Best light will be during sunrise though. The peak can be reached from all sides without technical difficulty. The screefield from the south that reaches the ridge between the summit and pt 12,668 is short but more tedious than the screefield to Cloudripper's E-ridge.

Getting There

Glacier Lodge Road leads from Big Pine to the trailhead for North Fork Big Pine Creek and Baker Lake. The road starts in Big Pine (3980ft) on Crocker Street and reaches the hiker parking area after 13.9mi (7677ft)

Red Tape

All over night traffic in the Inyo Nation Forest requires a wilderness permit. Permits are reservable in advance from the Inyo National Forest Ranger stations. Trail quotas are in effect form May 1 to November 1 for both the Big Pine Creek North Fork Trail and the Baker Lakes Trail. The current cost is $5 per person for any number of nights. Walk in permits (if available) are free; day hikers/climbers require no permit. If going in winter, one can self issue a permit at either Ranger station prior to entering the wilderness.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PalisadesMountains & Rocks