Songnisan National Park

Songnisan National Park

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.53369°N / 127.82668°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Songnisan National Park is part of the Taebaek monutain range and is part of the Baekdudaegan trail that runs the length of the country.  It is an easy park to access and features mostly forested terrain, with some craggy ridgelines.  Moreso than the challenges of mountain hiking, this park has some cultural sites, temples, etc.

Temple at the base of the southern main park entrance

Need to Know

Like most National Parks in Korea, the entrance to the park is lined with dozens of restaurants and cafes. In Korea, hiking is equally about the socialization before and after as it is about the natural features.

Parking was fairly adequate in a lot near the start point, probably 4-10k won depending on the season. I would imagine this lot fills up extremely fast in peak season. Park admission was about the same, 4k won for me in off-season.

There are literally restaurants along this loop all the way up including on the ridge itself, so don't even bother bringing food and water if you want to have the local stuff!
 
Restaurant on top of the ridgeline

Description

The trails here are marked extremely well, and much of of them are constructed pathways. There are frequent temples, restaurants, and maps.

The terrain is relatively easy, most trails are lined with either carpet, stones, or stairs. It may be steep in some spots, and the ridge itself tends to get muddy. Other than that, Songnisan National Park is fairly simple to enjoy.
 
Ridgeline trails lined with bamboo trees


The temple at the bottom of the south main park entrance is quite large and has a wonderful aesthetic spot with good views of the ridge and surrounding mountains. Naturally the large statue is a big attraction here.
 
The large statue in the temple courtyard


The temple offers temple stays, for those interested. I haven't looked into any of the details, but there were many signs advertising it at the entrance.
 
One of the hikes in this park is described with a GPX track on hiking project.
 
The mountain streams are some of the main aesthetic attractions along the trails

Getting There

I drove, used Kakao Maps app on my phone.  There is a bus stop at the south entrance, at least, so public transportation is definitely possible.

Map of the main southern park entrance trails

IMG_2135
IMG_2135

Red Tape

Nothing in addition to the standard Korean National Park rules, see the Korea parent page.

Camping

Only permitted in designated campgrounds or shelters, in line with the other Korean national parks.  There is a link and description of the reservation process on the main Korea page.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.