South-East Ridge (normal route)

South-East Ridge (normal route)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.88670°N / 10.85070°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

South-east ridge of Hinterer Brochkogel

Hinterer BrochkogelHinterer Brochkogel - SE-ridge (left) and N-ridge (right)
South-East Ridgesouth-east ridge

The east ridge of Hinterer Brochkogel (3.635 m) is one of four ridges to the fifth highest summit of Austria. It´s the normal route of the third highest mountain of the Oetztal Alps. Hinterer Brochkogel is often climbed in combination with Wildspitze (3.770 m), the prominent neighbour.


The route starts at Mitterkarjoch (3.470 m), the notch on the southern normal route (from Breslauer Huette) to Wildspitze. First you have to ascend a slope up to 50° to the ridge, followed by a nice, sometimes exposed ridge-line with little scrambling.


The south-east ridge has a 160 m elevation gain.
Time required from Mitterkarjoch: 45 minutes up and 45 minutes down.
Difficulty: sometimes exposed, climbing up to (II)





Getting there:

  • From Breslauer Huette to Mitterkarjoch: 90 minutes, 630 m


  • From Taschachferner to Mitterkarjoch: 3,5 hours, 1040 m


  • From Mittelbergjoch to Mitterkarjoch: 2 hours, 300 m


  • Essential Gear:

  • Crampons, rope and ice axe
























  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.