South Meadow Trailheads

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11500°N / 73.564°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2055 ft / 626 m

South Meadow

South Meadow is the free parking and camping alternative to ADK Loj. There are a number of primitive campsites along the road. And one of the trails at this trailhead provides access to New York's high point, Mt. Marcy. Other trail will take you to John's Brook Lodge and the Great Range and to Mt. Van Hovenberg

Directions


From Rt. 73 turn on to ADK Loj Road. ADK Loj Road is about five miles before or after Lake Placid depending on which way you are heading.
Continue for about 4 miles down ADK Loj Road until you see the DEC sign for South Meadows, it will be on your left.
If you are looking for a campsite, they are strung all along the road so stop when you reach the one you want.
If you are heading to the State truck Road, turn left at the fork 0.9 miles down the road.
If you are going to Mt. Van Hovenberg, stop at the parking are 0.3 miles down the road.
If you are heading to the Klondike Brook trail male a right at the fork and continue to the end.

Camping Rules


NO FIRES ANYWHERE!
Pets must be leashed on trail and at lean-to's and campsites.
Do not use soap in any water source.
Do not dispose of food in any water source.
All dishwashing and bathing must be done 150 ft from a water source.
No glass containers.
Audio device must NOT be audible outside of the immediate campsite.
Pack all trash out.
All human waste must be disposed of properly. In privies or 6-8 inches below the ground, 150 ft from a water source or trail.
You must camp with in 15 ft. (5 m) from the CAMP HERE disks
Bear Cannisters

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AdirondacksTrailheads