South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.04611°N / 118.44111°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route was first climbed on March 19, 1972 by Ed Treacy, Karl Bennett, Dave Gladstone, Vi Grasso, Dave King, and Doug Mantle.

The South Ridge can be approached in one of two ways:

1) As a traverse from Split Mountain or Mt. Prater.

2) From climbing the "Obvious Chute" that gains access to the plateau between Mt. Prater and Mt. Bolton Brown from Tinemaha Lake.

Getting There

See the Main Page for directions to get to the trailhead and to the respective camps.

Route Description

Follow the ridge from the plateau southeast of Mount Bolton Brown. Drop down on the west side of the ridge before reaching the lower SE summit. A short, easy section of class 3 is encountered here. Then, climb the easier NW Ridge to the true summit.

Essential Gear

None required.

Ice ax, crampons are essential in the winter or early spring.

A short rope with a few slings, if you are uncomfortable on the class 3 portion.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.