South Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.22750°N / 9.35211°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The south slope ascends a mostly steep, grassy slope which turns in to an easy class 2-3 scramble near the summit, with the help of a cable. It is a very enjoyable hike with great views from every spot on the trail.

Getting There

Follow directions on the main page.

Route Description

From the lone sign, head to the north on the trail. The first obstacle, a 50 foot cliff s bypassed by heading up a narrow chute to the left. After this, you'll reach the small Schaferhut. From here the trail turns north east and ascends the obvious large chute visible between the south slope of the Schafberg and the cliffs on the right. This leads you to a saddle. From here, the trail turns north and acsends the steep grassy slope. In the early summer if you don't have crampons and ice axes, you might have to weave yourself through the steep snow fields. If the route is snow-free, just follow the red and white painted rocks that lie every 50 feet or so. These are the trail markers. Finally the trail reaches a ridge. From here you can see into the large glacial bowl in front of you. The trail now heads up to the left, on the final slope of the false summit. The false summit marker will soon come into view. Guide yourself to the false summit. For the first time, the real summit is visible. Head down the cable that helps you on the class 3 (it is very necessary) and then head up the class 2 to the summit. Re-trace you steps back.

Essential Gear

In winter, crampons and ice axes are needed to ascend the south slope. Bring your ski/snowboard if you want to make you descent considerably faster. In summer, bring good boots, snacks, and a lot of water. This slope can get pretty hot on cloudless days.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.