Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.73600°N / 74.191°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Trapps is the most popular climbing face in the Gunks. There are several guidebooks available. The best one is Dick William's guidebook. You can get it at Rock and Snow.  

The Trapps Guidebook

Getting There

Getting to New Paltz: Take the NY State Thruway (I87) to exit 18 (New Paltz/Poughkeepsie). Pass the toll booth to the first light. Stay on left lane. Turn left and follow Rt. 299 West to New Paltz (R299 becomes main st). Please make sure to stop by Rock and Snow store which is right across from Mobile Gas Station for latest beta on the Gunks. Getting to the Gunks: Take Rt. 299 for 6-7 miles, make a right on intersects with Rt. 44/55. Turn right and continue up, stop by Mohonk Preserve Visitor's Center for information, annual/daily pass. After a hairpin turn, continue up the road. There is a parking lot on the left side. This lot is not for full day parking (30-minute parking limit), so be careful parking here. Pass this parking alot and an old iron bridge. You'll see The West Trapps parking area on the right. This lot gets filled up quickly, so come early or you'll have to park by the Warwarsing by the visitor's center.

Red Tape

Daily pass or annual pass is required to climb at the Gunks. Head of Household $50 Seniors (62+) $40 Full-time Students $40 Additional Adults (Over 18) (per person living in same household) +$15 Additional Dependents (13 - 18 years) (per person living in same household) +$5 Technical Rock Climbing (per person over 12 years of age) +$35 Biking (per person over 12 years of age) +$15

Camping

There is one, 20-site, low-impact tenting area on the Preserve, located near the Trapps Bridge on Route 44/55. It is for climbers only, and fires are not allowed. Information on and permits for use of the site are posted on the bulletin board at the site entrance.

Route Locations

There are many routes located in the Gunks. I'll try to do a better taking photos of the approach.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Shawangunk "Gunks"Mountains & Rocks