The World War I in the Dolomites, may 1915 - may 2015

The World War I in the Dolomites, may 1915 - may 2015

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling, Skiing

Outbreak of WWI on the Dolomites

While the WWI broke out in 1914, the fighting on the alpine chain and on the Dolomites began about a year later, on 1915, May 24th, just a century ago, after the Italian war's declaration against the Austro-Ungarian Empire. Between 1914, July and 1918, November, the First World War involved the greatest world powers and some of the minor ones. It was initially an European war between Austro-Hungarian Empire, Germany and Ottoman Empire coalition opposed to other European countries, as United Kingdom, France, Russia and Italy, but with the subsequent involvement of the United States of America and Japan it became a full-scale war, taking the name of "World War" or "Great War". The Italian-Austrian border ran for 370 kilometers along the line drawn in 1866, an almost entirely mountainous border. The mountains were a natural bulwark in which, next to the two warring parties, a common enemy soon made its appearance: the winter at high altitude. Fighting involved different alpine and subalpine groups, as Adamello, Ortles-Cevedale, Carnian Alps and Little Dolomites, but unexpectedly the Dolomite front was the place where the war in altitude reached the limite of sacrifice. "A war within the war", where it was first of all necessary to survive the extreme environmental conditions, then to fight. Unexpectedly, why? The Austro-Hungarian Empire had in fact concentrated its defenses especially around Trento, leaving almost unguarded the Eastern Dolomites area, convinced that it would not come under attack from that direction. Contrary to all expectation, one hundred years ago the Dolomites become the scene of fighting now really appearing beyond the limit of human possibilities. A scenario that combined the harsh temperatures of winter at high altitude with the difficulty inherent the verticality of the ground, the classic one of the Dolomites' great mountains: ridges suspended over vertiginous walls, rough ice couloirs, high rock walls, overhangs. The armies involved were the IV Italian Army or Cadore Army, the Kombined Division Pustertal and the Deutsche Bayerischen Alpenkorp.

Mentre la Prima Guerra Mondiale scoppiò nel 1914, circa un anno dopo, il 24 maggio 1915, dopo la dichiarazione di guerra dell'Italia contro l'Impero Austro-Ungarico, iniziarono i combattimenti sulla catena alpina e sulle Dolomiti. Tra il luglio 1914 e il novembre 1918, la Prima Guerra Mondiale coinvolse le maggiori potenze mondiali e alcune di quelle minori. Inizialmente fu una guerra europea tra l'Impero Austro-ungarico, la Germania e la coalizione dell'Impero Ottomano da una parte contrapposti ad altri paesi europei, come Regno Unito, Francia, Russia e Italia, ma con il successivo coinvolgimento degli Stati Uniti d'America e del Giappone divenne una guerra a larga scala e prese il nome di "Guerra Mondiale" o "Grande Guerra". Il confine italo-austriaco correva per 370 chilometri lungo la linea tracciata nel 1866 ed era un confine quasi interamente montuoso. Le montagne erano un baluardo naturale in cui, accanto alle due parti in guerra, fece presto la sua comparsa un nemico comune: l'inverno in alta quota. I combattimenti coinvolsero diversi gruppi montuosi alpini e prealpini, come l'Adamello, l'Ortles-Cevedale, le Alpi Carniche e le Piccole Dolomiti, ma inaspettatamente il fronte dolomitico fu il luogo dove la guerra in quota raggiunse il limite del sacrificio. "Una guerra nella guerra", dove era necessario prima di tutto sopravvivere alle condizioni ambientali estreme, poi combattere. Inaspettatamente, ma perché?  L'Impero Austro-Ungarico aveva concentrato le sue difese soprattutto attorno a Trento, lasciando quasi incustodita l'area delle Dolomiti Orientali, con la convinzione che non sarebbe stato attaccato da quella direzione. Contrariamente a ogni aspettativa, oltre cento anni fa le Dolomiti divennero teatro di combattimenti che ora appaiono davvero oltre il limite delle possibilità umane. Uno scenario che univa le rigide temperature dell'inverno in quota con la difficoltà insita nella verticalità del terreno, quella classica delle grandi montagne dolomitiche: creste sospese su pareti vertiginose, aspri canali di ghiaccio, alte pareti rocciose, strapiombi. Gli eserciti coinvolti erano la IV Armata Italiana o Armata Cadore, la Divisione Kombined Pustertal e la Deutsche Bayerischen Alpenkorp.

 

Summits of the WWI: Tofane annotated panoramaThe three Tofane summits and Castelletto were home of fierce fighting at high altitude

When Italy entered the war, as already mentioned, the Southern Austro-Hungarian battle array called “V Rayon Tyrol Defense“ was not very furnished, but favourite by the excellent knowledge of the territories and the mountainous terrain. The goal of Italy was to advance in the direction of Vienna along the valleys, as Val Pusteria or Villach, and quickly cross the alpine cols, as Passo di Monte Croce Comelico. But things went differently. Ever opportunity to advance quickly vanished, together with the dream of marching rapidly towards Vienna. On May 27, the Austro- Hungarians withdrew from Cortina d’Ampezzo due to strategic reasons, but continued to keep several positions on high ground fortified, to prevent the enemy to spread to the North through the main valleys, such as Val Badia, Val Travenanzes and Val di Landro. All along the front line, there was a large number of castles and forts, which could be used to block any attacks from Italians.

Come già accennato, quando l'Italia entrò in guerra, lo schieramento Austro-ungarico meridionale denominato “V Rayon Tirolo Difesa” non era molto agguerrito,  ma era favorito dall'ottima conoscenza dei territori e del terreno montuoso. L'obiettivo dell'Italia era quello di avanzare in direzione Vienna lungo le valli, come la Val Pusteria o Villach, e attraversare velocemente i passi alpini, come il Passo di Monte Croce Comelico. Ma le cose andarono diversamente. Ogni opportunità di avanzare rapidamente svanì, insieme al sogno di marciare rapidamente verso Vienna. Il 27 maggio gli Austro-ungarici si ritirarono da Cortina d'Ampezzo per motivi strategici, ma continuarono a mantenere diverse posizioni su alture fortificate, per impedire al nemico di dilagare a nord attraverso le valli principali, come la Val Badia, la Val Travenanzes e la Val di Landro. Lungo tutta la linea del fronte c'era un gran numero di castelli e fortezze, che potevano essere utilizzati per bloccare qualsiasi attacco da parte degli italiani.

First World War trench along the path to CastellettoA trench along the path to Castelletto
Remains of Falzarego WWI hospitalRuins of Falzarego WWI hospital
Summits of WWI: Austrians' cave on Lagazuoi War shelter on Lagazuoi

The hesitation of the Italian army compromised the opportunity to overwhelm the antagonist counting on the surprise factor, being the Austrian troops not yet well organized; it allowed the Tyrolean Standschützen to regroup quickly, building shelters and blasting the roads. It became a war of loneliness instead of a war of movement, indeed an exhausting war of position, made of violent assaults against impregnable positions and interminable waits.

Le esitazioni dell'esercito italiano compromisero l'opportunità di travolgere l'antagonista contando sul fattore sorpresa, essendo le truppe austriache non ancora ben organizzate; permisero inoltre  agli Standschützen tirolesi di riorganizzarsi rapidamente, costruendo rifugi e facendo saltare le strade. Divenne così una guerra di posizione invece di una guerra di movimento, un'estenuante guerra di posizione, fatta di violenti assalti contro posizioni inespugnabili e attese interminabili.

Fighting and climbing on the highest summits

In addition to the tragic and bloody clashes in altitude, these mountains were the scene of daring ascents by special mountains parties, as the Italian “Alpini” and the Austrian “Kaiserjäger”. Soldiers became intrepid climbers before than fighters.  Many positions on the top of bold mountains were conquered and lost by both sides, such as the dominant summits of Lagazuoi, Cima Falzarego, Col di Lana, Croda Rossa, Forcella Serauta, Paterno, Tofane triad, these latter overcoming 3200 meters of altitude, summits that were guarded by outposts of mountain troops during the winter.

Oltre ai tragici e sanguinosi scontri in quota, queste montagne furono teatro di ardite ascensioni da parte di speciali cordate alpine, come gli “Alpini” italiani e i “Kaiserjäger” austriaci. I soldati divennero intrepidi scalatori prima che combattenti. Molte posizioni sulla sommità di ardite montagne furono conquistate e perse da entrambi i contendenti, come le vette dominanti del Lagazuoi, Cima Falzarego, Col di Lana, Croda Rossa, Forcella Serauta, Paterno, Triade delle Tofane. Queste ultime pur superando i 3200 metri di quota, eraano vette che durante l'inverno vennero sorvegliate da avamposti di truppe di montagna. 

Austrian sentinel overlooking Sesto DolomitesAustrian sentinel - Sesto Dolomites
Alpine guide Sepp Innerkofler Sepp Innerkofler
Alpine guide Antonio Dimai Antonio Dimai

Few meters below the summit of Monte Paterno it happened one of the most tragic events: the death of the great and famous Alpine guide Sepp Innerkofler (Sesto Pusteria 1865, October 28th – Monte Paterno 1915, July 4th) from Sesto Pusteria, manager of the Dreizinnen hut, nowaday Locatelli-Innerkofler Hut, already at that time one of the most popular hiking destinations in the Dolomites. Sepp Innerkofler enlisted as a volunteer in Standschützen and fell in combat in circumstances still unclear. Another great Alpine guide involved in the conflict was Antonio Dimai (Cortina d'Ampezzo 1866–1948) from Cortina, one of the major mountaineers of late nineteenth century, first climber of the majestic Tofana di Rozes South face. He was imprisoned by the Italians and later freed by the intercession of King Albert I of Belgium. The fighting amongst the mountains is remembered in reason of the many bold enterprises, but also in reason of several mine explosions inside tunnels mined into the rock. The most sensational event of the whole war occurred on a stunning rocky tower considered particularly strategic, leaning against the majestic SW wall of the Tofana di Rozes, at the cross between Val Travenanzes and Val Costeana. This peak was called Castelletto (Little Castle) by the Italians, “Schreckenstein” (literally "Rock of Terror") by the Austrians. The Austrian sentinels placed on the mountain prevented the Italian army entering Val Travenenzes; Italians tried in various ways to storm Castelletto through several attempts, whether by daring climbing from below or descending from the summit of Tofana di Rozes. Failing in order the Italians thought to blow it up, building a 507 meters long tunnel. On July 11, 1916 a terrific explosion tore off the top of Castelletto. The rocks were thrown away at thousands of meters, continuing to fall for several hours. The summit was occupied by the Italians two days later.

Pochi metri sotto la vetta del Monte Paterno avvenne uno degli eventi più tragici: la morte della grande e famosa guida alpina Sepp Innerkofler (Sesto Pusteria 1865, 28 ottobre - Monte Paterno 1915, 4 luglio) di Sesto Pusteria, gestore della Rifugio Dreizinnen, oggi Rifugio Locatelli-Innerkofler, che già a quell'epoca era una delle mete escursionistiche più amate delle Dolomiti. Sepp Innerkofler si arruolò come volontario negli Standschützen e cadde in combattimento in circostanze ancora poco chiare. Un'altra grande guida alpina coinvolta nel conflitto fu Antonio Dimai (Cortina d'Ampezzo 1866–1948) di Cortina, uno dei più grandi alpinisti di fine Ottocento, primo scalatore della maestosa parete Sud della Tofana di Rozes. Fu imprigionato dagli italiani e successivamente liberato per intercessione di re Alberto I del Belgio. I combattimenti sulle montagne vengono ricordati per le tante imprese ardite, ma anche per le numerose esplosioni di mine all'interno di cunicoli scavati nella roccia. L'evento più clamoroso di tutta la guerra si verificò su una splendida torre rocciosa considerata particolarmente strategica, addossata alla maestosa parete SW della Tofana di Rozes, all'incrocio tra la Val Travenanzes e la Val Costeana. Questa torre venne chiamata Castelletto (piccolo castello) dagli italiani, "Schreckenstein" (letteralmente "roccia del terrore") dagli austriaci. Le sentinelle austriache poste sul monte impedirono all'esercito italiano di entrare in Val Travenenzes; gli italiani cercarono di prendere d'assalto il Castelletto con diversi tentativi, sia con ardite scalate dal basso sia scendendo dalla cima della Tofana di Rozes. Dopo vari insuccessi gli italiani pensarono di farlo saltare in aria, costruendo un tunnel lungo 507 metri. L'11 luglio 1916 una terribile esplosione sconvolse la cima del Castelletto. Le rocce furono scagliate a migliaia di metri di distanza, continuando a cadere per diverse ore. La cima fu occupato dagli italiani due giorni dopo.

Alpine artillery at Cinque TorriAlpine artillery at Cinque Torri

Also the summit of Col di Lana, on April 17, 1916, was blown up by the explosion of two mines, located below the summit in a tunnel dug. This mountain has entered history as the scene of bloody fighting. On winter 1915-1916 the avalanches did thousands of victims among the soldiers. In some areas fell by up to 12 meters of snow; a huge avalanche, which struck on an Austrian camp at foot of Marmolada caused three hundred dead; almost the same number of soldiers died in an avalanche in Val di Landro. Marmolada became famous, too. After fierce fighting, the Austrian Leo Handl planned to create a system of tunnels into the ice. Citadels were created in the bowels of the glacier, allowing to bring supplies in altitude without obstacles, with the advantage of being more protected not only from enemy fire, but also from the weather.

Anche la vetta del Col di Lana, il 17 aprile 1916, fu fatta saltare in aria dall'esplosione di due mine, poste sotto la vetta in una galleria scavata. Questa montagna è entrata nella storia come teatro di sanguinosi combattimenti. Nell'inverno 1915-1916 le valanghe fecero migliaia di vittime tra i soldati. In alcune zone caddero fino a 12 metri di neve; un'enorme valanga, che si abbattè su un accampamento austriaco ai piedi della Marmolada, causò trecento morti; quasi lo stesso numero di soldati morì in una valanga in Val di Landro. Anche la Marmolada divenne famosa. Dopo aspri combattimenti, l'austriaco Leo Handl pianificò di creare un sistema di tunnel nel ghiaccio. Furono create cittadelle nelle viscere del ghiacciaio, permettendo di portare rifornimenti in quota senza ostacoli e con il vantaggio di essere più protetti non solo dal fuoco nemico, ma anche dalle intemperie.

“1915 - 1916 Kaiserjäger in Marmolada

End of the war on the Dolomites (1917, November)

The exhausting position-war, made of continuous sudden attacks by both armies, never allowed Italians to break through the enemy front, so soldiers spent two hard winters fighting amongst the summits. The war on the Dolomites continued until 1917, November, when the italian IV Army was withdrawn from the Dolomites and retreated to Monte Grappa after the Italian defeat of Caporetto (river Piave). The war in the Dolomites ended without winners or losers and on November 5, 1917 Cortina d'Ampezzo was occupied again by the Austro-Hungarians. The defeat of Caporetto spared the fighters of the entire Dolomite region the third winter of fighting at high altitude.

L'estenuante guerra di posizione, fatta di continui e improvvisi attacchi da parte di entrambi gli eserciti, non permise mai agli italiani di sfondare il fronte nemico, così i soldati trascorsero due rigidi inverni combattendo tra le vette. La guerra sulle Dolomiti continuò fino al novembre 1917, quando la IV Armata italiana se ne andò dalle Dolomiti e si ritirò sul Monte Grappa dopo la sconfitta subita a Caporetto (fiume Piave). La guerra nelle Dolomiti terminò senza vincitori né vinti e il 5 novembre 1917 Cortina d'Ampezzo fu nuovamente occupata dagli austroungarici. La sconfitta di Caporetto risparmiò ai combattenti dell'intera regione dolomitica il terzo inverno di combattimenti in alta quota.

Summits of WWI in the Dolomites

Summits of WWI: Lagazuoi
Summits of WWI: Lagazuoi
Summits of WWI: Tofana di Dentro
Summits of WWI: Tofana di Dentro
Summits of the WWI:  Lavaredo and Cadini
Summits of the WWI: Lavaredo and Cadini
Summits of WWI: Cinque Torri
Summits of WWI: Cinque Torri

 

 

Several mountain groups of the Dolomites were involved in the fighting during the WWI. The main ones were Tofane, Fanis, Nuvolau-Cinque Torri, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini, Sesto Dolomites, Marmolada. A wide and wonderful region, today shared amongst Belluno, Bolzano and Trento provinces.

Diversi gruppi montuosi delle Dolomiti furono coinvolti nei combattimenti durante la Prima Guerra Mondiale. I principali furono Tofane, Fanis, Nuvolau-Cinque Torri, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini, Dolomiti di Sesto, Marmolada. Una regione vasta e meravigliosa, oggi condivisa dalle province di Belluno, Bolzano e Trento.

 

 

 

 

Summits of WWI: PaternoPaterno
Summits of WWI: Castelletto della Tofana
Summits of WWI: Castelletto della Tofana

 

Summits of WWI: Marmolada and LagazuoiMarmolada and Lagazuoi
Summits of WWI: Tofana di MezzoTofana di Mezzo

 

Major WWI sites of interest in the Dolomites

The war left on the ground impressive works and remains, like trenches, trails, military roads, stations and tunnels, such as the tunnels of Castelletto in the Tofane Group, whose historical value today arouses a growing tourist interest thanks to the skillful restoration initiatives undertaken by local authorities. You can visit these evocative remains located inside the vaste areas belonging to the Ampezzo Dolomites (Fanis-Lagazuoi, Tofane, Averau-Nuvolau and Cinque Torri, Col di Lana), Sesto Dolomites (Monte Piana, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini di Misurina, Croda dei Toni, Popera and Croda Rossa di Sesto) and Marmolada through an extensive network of hiking trails and several "vie ferrate". Some interesting itineraries are Sass de Stria Normal route, starting from Forte Intra i Sass (Passo Valparola), an ancient Austrian fortress, and the Kaiserjager Path, following the Austrian Vonbank front-line, also starting from Forte Intra i Sass.

La guerra lasciò sul terreno opere e resti imponenti, come trincee, sentieri, strade militari, postazioni e gallerie, come le gallerie di Castelletto nel Gruppo delle Tofane, il cui valore storico suscita oggi un crescente interesse turistico grazie alle sapienti iniziative di restauro intraprese dagli enti locali. Si possono visitare questi suggestivi resti situati all'interno delle vaste aree delle Dolomiti d'Ampezzo (Fanis-Lagazuoi, Tofane, Averau-Nuvolau e Cinque Torri, Col di Lana), Dolomiti di Sesto (Monte Piana, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini di Misurina, Croda dei Toni, Popera e Croda Rossa di Sesto) e Marmolada attraverso una fitta rete di sentieri escursionistici e numerose "vie ferrate". Alcuni itinerari interessanti sono la Via Normale del Sass de Stria, con partenza dal Forte Intra i Sass (Passo Valparola), antica fortezza austriaca, e il Sentiero Kaiserjager, seguendo il fronte austriaco del Vonbank, partendo anche da Forte Intra i Sass.

The ancient Cantore shelter and Tofana di RozesThe ancient "Generale Cantore" barrack and Punta Marietta, Tofana di Rozes
Ancient cave and trenches of the Great WarAncient cave and trenches of the Great War near Col de Bos
The WWI shelter The WWI shelter "Alpini del Battaglione Fenestrelle" on Tofana di Dentro

Sentiero storico Museo all'aperto della Grande Guerra sul monte Piana
Sacrario Militare di Pocol a Cortina d'Ampezzo
Forte Intra i Sass - Passo Valparola
Galleria Lagazuoi, alta val Travenanzes
Col dei Bos
Ex Ospedale militare
Sass de Stria

External links

Dolomythos: la Grande Guerra nelle Dolomiti

Bibliography

"La Grande Guerra sul fronte dolomitico" by Antonella Fornari
"La Grande Guerra - Dolomiti" by Michael Wachtler and Günther Obwegs - Athesia Ed.
"Con gli Alpini sui sentieri della Storia" - ANA, Mursia Ed.
"Das sind die Kaiserjäger!" - Von Kurt Tanz
"Guerra di mine nelle Dolomiti: Lagazuoi - Castelletto 1915-1917" by Roberto Striffler - Panorama Ed.
"Sei mesi in guerra sulle Dolomiti" by G. De Donà, B. Marcuzzo, W. Musizza - Ed. DBS
"Le Aquile delle Tofane" by Luciano Viazzi, Mursia Ed.
"Il fuoco e il gelo" by Enrico Camanni - Ed. Laterza



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Pajahoral

Pajahoral - May 1, 2015 11:47 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks!

Thanks for remembering the WWI in the Dolomites. I'm interested in these places and visit them too...

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 4, 2015 3:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

This month will be celebrated the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War in the Dolomites. Recurrence apart, i think this one is an interesting topic and these places full of remains certainly deserve a visit.
Thank you very much for visiting!

lucabertollo

lucabertollo - May 6, 2015 3:33 am - Voted 10/10

Well done...

...for the incoming centenary of the Great War! About bibliography I only suggest to correct two names: they are Antonella Fornari and Luciano Viazzi, two friends well known in WW1 historical research.
And compliments for your summitpost contributions and climbing activity.
Ciao
Luca

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 7, 2015 1:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done...

Glad for your appreciation! Moreover thank you for noticing these corrections to be done. Many wishes also to you for your climbs!
Ciao. Alberto

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - May 7, 2015 4:57 am - Voted 10/10

Good overview!

Will you attach this article to the Dolomites page?

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 7, 2015 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good overview!

Thanks, Vid! Yes, i'm going to attach it.

markhallam

markhallam - May 15, 2015 12:41 am - Voted 10/10

Great piece of history...

...but, as I have often thought when visiting the Dolomites, how incredibly sad that man can wage war in so beautiful a place. And such a destructive war also, with tens of thousands slaughtered - and I understand more killed by avalanches (many deliberately released) than by bullets and cannon-shells.
best wishes, Mark

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 16, 2015 6:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great piece of history...

I agree, it was a real desecration of the peace of the summits ... I am convinced, however, that people today, at least in most civilized countries, are more sensitive to the environment and something like this could not happen again...I hope so, at least.
Thanks and best things, Alberto

Abney

Abney - May 20, 2015 4:33 am - Hasn't voted

High History

I've been in the Dolomites myself and regret not reading this article beforehand. I know it's a dark part of history, but still, seeing the ruins of the WWI hospital high up in the mountains gives me quite a specific thrill.

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 20, 2015 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: High History

WWI on the Dolomites had been the "dark side of the moon"...Anyhow, a century has passed and the wounds on the territory and in the souls are now healed. The remains still in the area are a piece of history and an interesting source of meditation for all of us

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - May 25, 2015 5:05 am - Voted 10/10

Great Info

Really a nice article Alberto, very interesting and enjoyed your writing.

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 25, 2015 12:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Info

I tried to do my best to delineate in a clear and concise way and not too specialized or too boring for the reader a topic actually much complex and about which many words were written.
I thank you for having enjoyed my written!
Best wishes, Alberto

Motus - May 29, 2015 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Open Museum

I've actually visited the open "ski-museum" this January, dedicated to the WW1 in Dolomites. So called "Grande Guerra ski tour" in Alta Badia.

It's a whole day skiing program where you visit all the fortresses and leftover artillery pieces. Pretty interesting ride.

I have few photos, and I'm willing to share.

Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - May 29, 2015 3:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Open Museum

Interesting tour, indeed! Your photos are welcome, i'm waiting for those. If you want, you can attach the images to this article!

Viewing: 1-14 of 14

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DolomitesArticles