Training on Huff-Puff

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.02550°N / 113.505°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 11, 2001
I first climbed Huff Puff in June of 2001 as an intern at Project Vote Smart. It starts on road, and a few yards up is the trail. It starts really steep, so you will be huffing and puffing by the time you get up the first part of the trail. It is then gradual, then steep, then gradual, then steep, etc, etc. It winds around the mountain with a bunch of switchbacks, until you reach the grassy summit with unobscured view towards the Pintler mountain range. I used to run the flat parts and hike the steep parts. It is about a 4 mile round trip hike. The top is beautiful, wonderful, amazing! My boss compared it to the hill top in the movie, "Sound of Music". This mountain is known pretty much to just us former interns, so it could be called a hill in our backyard. However, I envy anyone with a hill in their backyard with a view like this. When you get to the top of the trail, you can't see a thing. You just need to scurry up the last part, and then you take your first look and WOW!!!!!!! The Pintler Range comes fully into view, and looks so close, that it seems like you can touch them with your outstretched hands. Warren Peak is the most prominent feature you will see from the summit, as well as other Pintler mountains, and miles of green forests in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness. This mountain is a gem that could be climbed as a warm up hike for the Pintlers. If I return, I will be sure to climb it again.

Huff Puff  photo_id=79008
Hard Training


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Huff PuffTrip Reports