UN 8,670 "Radio Control Tower"

UN 8,670 "Radio Control Tower"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 62.97270°N / 151.14029°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8670 ft / 2643 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Radio Control Tower
Radio Control Tower is easy to pick out from Denali Base Camp, appearing as a trapezoidal chunk of rock to the east. This is the west face, hiding the upper half of the standard route, which follows the east ridge. This strangely-named mountain is actually a fun glacier playground with fantastic views of the surrounding mountains in the Alaska Range.

Anyone attempting Radio Control Tower or any of the mountains in this vicinity must be roped-up and competent in glacier travel and crevasse rescue. This mountain is commonly used as a test-piece for guided clients to hone these skills, because the objective hazards are very real. As with anywhere in the Alaska Range, weather and snow conditions can change day by day (or--more accurately--hour by hour), necessitating preparation for anything and the ability to adapt to these conditions as they change.

The mountain's standard route gently climbs a glacier to the north of the mountain, before turning onto the east ridge and climbing several interesting snow-covered humps to the corniced summit.


 


At the summit, you are rewarded with great views of some world-class climbing routes, including the Moonflower Buttress and the West Ridge of Mount Hunter, Mount Foraker, and the "Kahiltna Queen."

Getting There

Radio Control Tower can be accessed from Denali Base Camp on the Southeast Fork of the Kahiltna Glacier. The most logical starting point to get there is to fly from Talkeetna, using one of the following services:

Hudson Air Services Inc.: http://www.hudsonair.com/

K2 Aviation: http://www.flyk2.com/

Talkeetna Air Taxi Inc.: http://www.talkeetnaair.com/


 

Red Tape & Camping

Climbers planning to ascend Radio Control Tower or surrounding peaks should contact the Talkeetna Ranger Station, located on B Street in Talkeetna, for current regulatory information:

Website: https://akrcms.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/talkeetnaranger.htm

Address: P.O. Box 588
Talkeetna, AK 99676

Phone: 907-733-2231

E-mail: DENA_Talkeetna_Office@nps.gov

Backpackers can camp at or near Denali Base Camp, but remember to get your CMC (Clean Mountain Can) from the ranger station before heading to the glacier!


 

External Links

AAI Alaska Range Ascents

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alaska RangeMountains & Rocks