Vandalism by Ice II-- The Canadian Rockies

Vandalism by Ice II-- The Canadian Rockies

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery, Water

Epic Scenery

North of Montana's Glacier National Park, the well-informed traveler heads through Waterton Lakes National Park and then through the rugged, classically Western Kananaskis country until he or she reaches Banff, where the mountains start to get bigger. About an hour's drive northwest of Banff, though, the world changes drastically. Suddenly, glaciers cling to mountainsides, and the mountains themselves are monstrous manifestations of rugged rock. What begins in Montana's Glacier National Park finds its encore up here, and that encore stretches far into the True North and through country that may make you think you're in a Jack London story. Four national parks-- Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, and Yoho-- comprise much of the area. Banff is the most popular and probably the best, but you can spend a lifetime arguing over the latter point. World-class climbing and world-class scenery abound, and even though it's hundreds of miles and several days of driving away, the Far North, land of the midnight sun, beckons.

Why

This album is simply a collection of my favorite pictures from my times in the Canadian Rockies. Regrettably, none are from climbs even though several are from hikes. Spending a few weeks climbing in the Canadian Rockies is a dream of mine.

The pictures here were originally part of a larger album, Vandalism by Ice, covering both Glacier National Park (U.S.) and the Canadian Rockies, but the album grew too large and I decided to make a "Part 2" instead.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 15, 2008 9:48 pm - Voted 10/10

"Monstrous

manifestations of rugged rock?" That's very poetic.
Thanks for another great page, Bob! You definately spend to much
time on Summitpost. You are not alone.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 17, 2008 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Monstrous

Well, thank you again! I actually used to write quite a bit of poetry in high school and college, but most of it was about the pretty girl I was too scared to ask out, not the mountains!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 17, 2008 6:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re:

: - )

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.