Via Edith Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.96850°N / 113.468°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 3
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Climb/falling rock
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You can reach the Pintler Range and McGlaughlin Peak by traveling down I-90 toward Missoula until you hit Route 1. Then take Route 1 to rt-38(AKA-skalkaho pass) Take rt-38 for 9 miles until you get to Moose Lake Road. Take a left on Moose Lake Road, (a dirt road) and drive 16 miles to the end of the road, where you will find the trailheads.

After you park your car, you take the trailhead to the left, (back towards the road) which leads to a long gradual trail that goes up 1,000 feet to Edith Lake or Johnson Lake. The primary trail to McGlaughlin Peak is near Edith Lake. Most people hike 5 miles to Edith Lake and camp there for the night.

At Edith Lake:

From the main trail, you hike the trail around the side of the lake, until you reach the North end, where a small trail takes you to a class 3 ridge.

Route Description

McGlaughlin Peak Via Edith Lake photo_id=79939
Here is your route, a 1500' class 3 ridge


Take the above ridge up to the lowest point to the right of the peak (Point 8906'). The lower areas are more forest like, so you use tree routes to pull yourself up. Then, you reach the rocky section where you must carefully choose a good direction to the top. Watch out for falling rock, and pace yourself. This part of the trip takes well over an hour. You climb about 1500 feet up the ridge, to about 8800 feet. At the top you go to the left, and you will find a wilderness trail. You then hike another 1/2 mile and 500 feet up to the mesa-like mountain top that is McGlaughlin Peak.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes, and some climbing partners to make sure you are safe from falling rock. Any time other than summer, bring an ice ax, and maybe even rope. The initial ridge is very steep.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.