via North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.04000°N / 9.36000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The North Ridge that leads to the Augstenberg is approached from the town of Malbun. There are two options here. Either hike up to the ridge along the road that switchbacks up, or take the ski lift (the only one on the east side of town) for about 10 Euros. Either way will get you to the ridge.

Route Description


Once on the ridge, head south on the small trail. The ridge soon becomes quite narrow, with 1,000 foot drops on either side. You're pretty close to the Austrian border here, which is in the valley to the east. Soon the trail will start to climb a little, and the ridge that you're on will turn to the west, towards the summit. Views are spectacular, and stretch from Germany to the north, Austria to the east, and the rest of the Alps to the south. The trail travels along the tops of cliffs that fall back down to Malbun. The trail steepens on the final stretch to the summit. The whole country of Liechtenstein is visible from the summit. Re-trace your steps back to Malbun, or continue south to the Naafkopf and beyond.

Essential Gear


Water, good shoes. In winter, snowshoes, crampons and ice axes will be needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.