Western North Ridge from Macheiras Monastery

Western North Ridge from Macheiras Monastery

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.92028°N / 33.19210°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Panoramic Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Western north ridgeThe western north ridge seen from close to the summit

Usually Macheiras / Kionia is hiked by a 30 minute hike from Kionia Picnic Area 200m beneath the summit to the east. You can either take the support road for the radar installations on top, which leads you to the closed gate or hike along the eastern north ridge of the mountain. There a traverse across the north slopes of the mountain lead you to the western north ridge, which then can be used to path-lessly climb to the military installation on top. The effort for this is equally thirty minutes.

A much better approach to the mountain, however, is to follow the western north ridge, starting at Macheiras Monastery (in case this is to short for you you can also start at Lazanias or even Fikardou, two villages on the slopes of Moutti tou Klimatou, a northern neighbour of Macheiras / Kionia). The hike is very panoramic, offering views across the northern half of Cyprus. It is an easy hike, which in no place poses any difficulties. Thus the intense heat and the brushwork, which grows across the paths, pose the most serious obstacles.

Getting There

Macheiras MonasteryMacheiras Monastery, trailhead of the route

See the Getting There section of the main page. If you intend to start at Lazanias, simply stay on the Kionia - Macheiras road after the monastery. It will lead to the village. Fikardou can only be reached from the north of the Troodos Range and needs some lengthy detours. Most often visitors hike there from Lazanias or Macheiras Monastery (other way).

Route Description

Macheiras / KioniaMacheiras / Kionia - the western north ridge is located to the right. To the left the eastern north ridge

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 900m
      - Summit altitude: 1423m
      - Prevailing exposure: West and East
      - Type: Hike
      - Protection: none
  • Effort: 600m
  • Power: 1 - Steep in some short sections
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 1 - Easy

    (From Fikardou follow the signposts for the European long distance trekking trail, E4, which head southward across a saddle towards Lazanias. Hike into the village using the rarely used road. In the centre turn left (signs: E4) and hike through an alleyway out of the village, quickly descending into the valley of the Macheiras Creek. Cross the creek, steeply hike out of the valley in some 15 switchbacks until you regain the road 200m from the parking lot of Macheiras Monastery. Additional elevation gain: 300m. Additional time required: 2 - 3h.)

    From the parking lot at the monastery follow the road eastwards, passing above the monastery and offering nice views into it. Head for a road intersection (500m), where a disused mountain road turns off (parking space available here). The road narrows towards a dirt road which starts ascending the mountain on the eastern side of the western north ridge. The road gradually gets steeper and more overgrown but before it vanishes a path turns off to the left. Though there is a signpost you can easily miss this path.
    On the lower part of the route
    Macheiras / Kionia
    Macheiras / Kionia

    Still remaining on the eastern side of the ridge the path first runs level, traversing a big overgrown slope. On the far side, however, it starts to climb steeply towards the ridge, running through multiple switchbacks. Here in some sections the ground is very brittle which poses the most serious "difficulties" of the climb. Once near the ridge the path levels, still staying on the eastern side of the ridge, approximately 50m beneath the ridgeline.

    It now heads for a slightly pronounced saddle, through which it passes, for the first and only time switching sides. Suddenly views towards the Troodos Range open with the additional views to the Kyrenia Range floating in the mist of the north in your back. After passing a small patch of crippled trees the path heads for the ridge proper, which it now follows almost to the end. With the summit structure in sight the ridge turns very steep, quickly closing in on the summit. Suddenly the path turns east, heading for the Kionia Picnic Area. Instead, stay on the ridge, path-lessly climbing towards the summit. Only40m have to be scrambled until you stand in front of the gate of the military installation.

    Return the same way or hitch a ride back to the monastery from the Kionia Picnic Area.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear and lots of water

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.