Wild Basin Warming Hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 40.20850°N / 105.56635°W
Additional Information County: Boulder
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8500 ft / 2591 m

Overview

The Wild Basin Warming Hut sits a few hundred feet North of the Wild Basin Trailhead, and is run through Volunteers of the National Park Service and Colorado Mountain Club. The purpose of the Warming Hut is to offer anyone in the area a place to enjoy the warmth of the fire away from the snow and wind. Anyone is welcome to step inside and visit, though only volunteers and their party is allowed to spend the night. The Warming Hut is located in the building that houses the Wild Basin Ranger Station, and a well worn trail leads from the bathrooms to the hut.

The Warming Hut makes a nice resting spot before or after a trip to several nearby destinations. Copeland Falls, Hidden Falls (ice climbing) Calypso Cascades, Ouzel Falls, serve as the most popular destinations during the winter, as beyond Ouzel Falls the trails are rarely used and may require trail-breaking.

The Warming Hut is usually open from 10am-4pm, November through April, but is not open every day, as volunteers must be present to use the hut.

Hut Coordinates: 13T 0451942mE 4451149mN

Getting There

To reach the Wild Basin Warming Hut, one must enter Rocky Mountain National Park through the Wild Basin Entrance Station (which is usually closed during the winter season)off of Hwy 7 and drive approximately two miles to the winter parking lot. From the parking lot, hike, ski or snowshoe the closed road or nearby horse trail for one mile past the Finch Lake TH to the Wild Basin Trailhead. The Warming Hut is located in the same building as the seasonal Wild Basin Ranger Station.

Before planning any trips into Wild Basin, be sure to compensate for the extra mile of traveling to reach the Wild Basin Trailhead from the winter parking lot.

External Links

Some information about the WBWH and volunteering to host it
Some regional trail conditions





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wild Basin TrailheadHuts & Campgrounds