Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 44.19571°N / 71.4948°W
Additional Information County: Grafton
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2700 ft / 823 m

Zealand Falls Hut

Zealand Falls Hut is one of eight backcountry huts managed by the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) within the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This year-round hut, located in Zealand Notch, is one of the more easily accessed of the AMC's backcountry huts.

The usual route to the Hut is via the Zealand Trail & Twinway from the parking area at the end of Zealand Road off US-302. There are many outstanding day trips that can be made from the Hut, including a visit to Zeacliff, Zealand Mountain, Mt. Tom, Mt. Hale and the "Bonds".

Zealand Falls is open year-round and is popular with cross-country skiers and snowshoers during winter. If conditions are good, you can normally cross-country ski from the parking lot to within a short distance of the hut. The views from the front porch of the hut are excellent.

Accomodations

According to the AMC's website (www.outdoors.org), the 2012 operating season is as follows:

2012: "Self Service" January 1 to May 28 & October 14 to December 31
2012: "Full Service" June 1 to October 13

"Self-Service" means that meals are not provided, but you may use their kitchen facilities to cook your own food. The hut provides mattresses and pillows during the self-service season, but you will need to bring an appropriately rated sleeping bag. I also recommend bringing a headlamp and earplugs.

"Full-Service" includes a full dinner and breakfast, and you are provided with a mattress, blankets and a pillow. Bring your own sleeping liner (recommended) or a very lightweight sleeping bag.

Water can be refilled at the hut (they have a well).

Zealand Falls Hut sleeps 36 in two coed bunkrooms. Reservations are mandatory (except for A.T. thru-hikers). This Hut typically sells out well in advance for many summer & holiday weekends.

Check Availability (Reservations):
AMC Reservations

Access

Zealand Falls Hut is the fourth AMC hut along the Appalachian Trail corridor in New Hampshire:

Note: Huts are listed in order from south to north as they lie on the A.T.
1st - Lonesome Lake Hut
2nd - Greenleaf Hut
3rd - Galehead Hut
4th - Zealand Falls Hut
5th - Mizpah Spring Hut
6th - Lakes of the Clouds Hut
7th - Madison Spring Hut
8th - Carter Notch Hut

The usual route to the Hut during the spring, summer & fall seasons is via the Zealand Trail & Twinway from the parking lot at the end of Zealand Road (2.7 miles with 650ft of elevation gain). The route to the Hut is extended during the winter due to the closure of Zealand Road (bringing the total distance to 6.6 miles with 1,100ft of elevation gain).

Distances from the Hut to:
Zeacliff - 1.2 miles (via Twinway & Zeacliff Loop)
Thoreau Falls - 2.3 miles (via Twinway & Ethan Pond Trail)
Mt. Hale - 2.8 miles (via Twinway & Lend-A-Hand Trail)
Zealand Mountain - 3.0 miles (via Twinway & Zealand Mountain side path)
Mt. Tom - 3.7 miles (via Twinway, Ethan Pond Trail, A-Z Trail & Mt. Tom Spur)
Ethan Pond Shelter - 4.8 miles (via Twinway & Ethan Pond Trail)
AMC Highland Center - 5.4 miles (via Twinway, Zealand Trail, A-Z Trail & Avalon Trail)
Guyout Campsite - 5.2 miles (via Twinway & Bondcliff Trail)
West Bond Mountain - 5.6 miles (via Twinway, Bondcliff Trail & West Bond Spur)
Mt. Bond - 5.6 miles (via Twinway & Bondcliff Trail)
South Twin Mountain - 6.2 miles (via Twinway)
Galehead Hut - 7.0 miles (via Twinway)
Mizpah Spring Hut - 8.1 miles (via Twinway, Zealand Trail, A-Z Trail, Avalon Trail, Crawford Path, Mizpah Cut-Off, & Webster Cliff Trail)

External Links

Appalachian Mountain Club's Zealand Falls Hut page
Mohammed Ellozy's Zealand Falls Hut page
Winter Trails Information for Zealand Falls Hut
Higher Summits Forecast

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Twin & Franconia RangesHuts & Campgrounds