2nd Lift Line

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.15424°N / 72.93274°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.1 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

The 2nd Lift Line route is the longest route on the mountain. It goes straight up the mountain. During the winter, it is one of the best routes on the mountain. There is a cliff in the middle of the route. It is very easy to get over. It doesn't stand that tall at all.
The route itself is located under the second chair on the mountain. It's pretty easy to follow. Just stay under the lift and you'll be fine.

The Summer, Spring and Early Fall
During these months, climbing is the easiest. The trail has little Poison Ivy and prickers. It is also one of the quickest ways to get to the summit. The mountain is all to yourself during this time of the year so feel free to do whatever you'd like.

The Winter
The winter is the best time to climb this route. However, you need to check up with the main lodge and see if you can hike. If your planning to climb the cliff, do it on a cold day when nobody is there. This decreases the risk of being caught by ski patrol. If you don't want to take the risk, just go around the cliff and you'll end up back on the path.

Getting There

From the North (Cummington)
Head southeast on Main St toward RT-112/RT-9. Continue on Fairgrounds Rd. for 1.8 miles. Continue on Cummington Rd. for 2.3 miles. Turn left at Main Rd/RT-143 for about 40 feet. Turn right at Ireland St and continue for 4.7 miles. Turn left on Huntington Rd. to stay on Ireland St. and continue for about 50 yards. Turn left at Huntington Rd/RT-112 .Continue to follow RT-112 for 8.9 miles. Turn left at Huntington Rd/Russell Rd/US-20 Continue to follow US-20 for 3.9 miles. Turn right at Blandford Stage Rd. and continue for 1.4 miles. Continue on Russell Stage Rd. for 0.7 miles. Take a slight right at Nye Brook Rd. and continue until you reach Blandford Ski area. Once in the main area between the two lodges, continue on the trail at the base of the area an continue until you reach the second chair lift

From The South (Hartford)
Head south on Main St. toward Wells St.(About 100 yards). Turn right at Wells St. and continue for about 200 yards. At Pulaski Circle, take the 4th exit onto Whitehead Hwy. and continue for 0.6 miles. Take the exit onto I-91 N toward Springfield/Bradley Int'l Airport and continue for 31.6 miles. Take exit 14 for I-90/Mass. Pike toward Boston/Albany NY and continue for 0.9 miles. Follow signs for Albany/I-90 W and merge onto I-90 W/Massachusetts Turnpike/Mass Pike and continue for about 5.1 miles. Take exit 3 toward RT-10/Westfield/US-202/Northampton and continue 0.4 miles. Merge onto Pride Way and continue for 0.1 miles. Turn right at RT-10/US-202 and continue for 1.5 miles. Turn right at Franklin St/US-20 and continue for about 8 miles. Turn left at Blandford Stage Rd and continue for 1.4 miles. Continue on Russell Stage Rd. for 0.7 miles. Take a slight right at Nye Brook Rd and continue until you reach Blandford Ski Area. Once in the main area between the two lodges, continue on the trail at the base of the area an continue until you reach the second chair lift.


Directions - Google Maps

Trail Directions

The 2nd Lift Line trail is easy to follow. Just stay under the chair lift. If you reach the cliff and don't want to climb it, just go around and get back on course.
When your at the foot of the cliff, to the left is the "Terrain Park" route and to the right are the "Bear" route and past that the "Put's Peril" route and the "Chute". Make sure you don't wander over there if your not in for a tough hike.


Note to both: There are three summits, each of which are on a chair lift hill. Take the path along the top to go to each summit.

When to Climb

The Winter
The best time to climb is in the in the winter. During the winter it offers one hard section of the mountain, the cliff. Also, ice is more abundant on the cliff during the winter. This will add on to the challenges of the route.
The down side about climbing in the winter is the ski patrol. It's the hardest time to get up the route without being seen. If you get seen, get off the mountain. Climb when it is snowing and there is not so good visibility. This will decrease your chances of being caught.

The Spring, Summer, and Fall
This is the easiest time to climb the route. The cliff is very easy during the summer. You won't have any trouble at all unless you run into unsuspected weather. The scenery in the fall is said to be spectacular. The soil is a little loose during the climb but will hold you for a good amount of time. The cliff scenery is the best during the fall.

Essential Gear

The Winter, Spring, and Early Fall
During these months all that I would recommend is shorts or long pants, hiking boots or hiking shoes, a T-shirt, and a sweat shirt just in case. Some snacks would be could to.
Ropes may be necessary if you plan to go straight up the cliff but if you go criss-cross you won't need them. It just adds weight.

The Winter
Boots, gloves, and warm clothes are essential. Ropes may be necessary if you plan to go straight up the cliff but if you go criss-cross you won't need them. It just adds weight.

P.S.

There are no pictures on here because I have yet to download them. They should be on in a month or so. Winter pictures will be here when ski season begins.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.