Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.78490°N / 104.8895°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 3, 2005
With a beautiful sunny day at hand, and the forecast for the next much less encouracing, I set out to make another climb of the east face of Mt. Cutler. Basically on the spur of the moment, after starting down the trail from the summit of Cutler, I decided that today was the day I would finally do what I'd been wanting to do for a long time, and go on west to climb Muscoco. Is it Muscoco Mtn., or Mt. Muscoco? I don't know. Having failed to read csmc's previous trip report, I was surprised to find that the trail skirts the major rock outcropping just east of the true summit on the north; I had expected to go around it on the sunny south side. I was also surprised to find that the trail lead all the way out to a minor summit west of the true summit, overlooking Daniels Pass, before turning back to the east to the summit. Nice views of upper Cheyenne CaƱon from there. In fact, I hadn't really expected to find a trail all the way to the top, but there not only is one, it is very well defined, right to the summit. Although the trail is steep in places, it is easy to follow, and I had good running all the way down. Here are my time splits: Left home: 0:00 Arrived top of Mt. Cutler rock face: 0:45 Left top of Mt. Cutler rock face: 0:55 Arrived true summit of Mt. Cutler: 1:01 Left summit of Mt. Cutler: 1:02 Left Mt. Cutler trail: 1:06 Arrived Muscoco summit: 1:38 Left Muscoco summit: 1:48 Re-joined Cutler trail: 2:11 Arrived home: 2:39 Distance:6.26 miles Elevation gain: approx. 2,000 ft.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Oct 4, 2005 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

The trail passing on the north side of Muscoco's main summit rather than the south side makes the route a little tricky in winter as this section holds quite a bit of snow.

cftbq

cftbq - Oct 7, 2005 4:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Yes, I was thinking about the snow potential of this section of trail, too. I note that you did it in April, right? Was there much snow then? How about pioneering a route around the south side?

csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Oct 19, 2005 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

In April the section directly north of the summit still had considerable snow. That being said it was quite manageable with the tough areas fairly heavily postholed by previous hikers. It would likely be tough if you had to "create" the postholes as the trail might be tough to follow in deep snow.



As far as a new route on the south side: from the Seven Falls area the south side looks pretty steep although a steep scramble may be possible. I think there may be a pic of Muscoco from this area already posted. If not, I'll try and add one in the next few days!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Muscoco MountainTrip Reports