Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.12060°N / 106.43°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 10, 2005
My friend and I woke up at 5 am, ate breakfast, and drove twenty-five minutes from the University of New Mexico to the Southern Crest Trailhead in Tijeras Canyon. We started our hike at 6:11 am. On the way up, there were a lot of trails branching off to the right that we avoided by always staying to the left at every intersection. We started to climb what we thought was the summit a few hundred feet past the junction with Embudito Trail. At the top we looked to the north at what was clearly the true summit. We walked through the brush and managed to find the trail to the top of the peak a bit to the west from the false summit. We reached the summit at 10 am and sat back to watch the storm clouds form in a line just east of the central mountain chain in New Mexico. Alarmed at the speed at which they formed, we booked it at 10:30 am and managed to get down by 1:30 pm. Lucky for us, the cloud formations moved to the east.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

South Sandia PeakTrip Reports