Abineau/Bear Jaw Trails

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.35530°N / 111.6592°W
Additional Information Route Type: HIke to Canyons then Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Abineau and Bear Jaw trails form a loop from the bottom of the North end of the San Francisco Peaks.

To get there from 89A you turn on FR451, which is the road just a few hundred feet east of Lockett Meadow road, or you can come from 180 after turning onto 151 (Hart Prairie, either turnoff) then onto FR451.

There is a signed Trailhead for FR9123J. Both trails start from the same parking lot....

Route Description


About 1/4 of mile inward (south), the two trails split...Bear Jaw to the left (east), contours up Bear Jaw Canyon until you hit "Waterline" road (this is the old road you would take from Lockett Meadow)....this road gradually rises west another 8-900 feet around as it passes Bear Jaw Canyon, Rees Canyon and finally Abineau Canyon and the top of the Abineau Trail...either three canyons would get you to the top saddles.

Bear Jaw would be the easiest trail to reach the saddle between Abineau and Humphries. Longer than Abineau Trail, but shorter than the approach from Lockett Meadow.

Abineau is steeper as it it takes you directly along the bottom of Abineau Canyon and meets the very end of "Waterline" road....although steeper, it would be the shortest and probably the most beautiful....

Both trails are well defined and easy to follow....

As mentioned earlier, scambling either of the 3 canyons off of "Waterline" road would yield you to the saddles of the minor Peaks.

Essential Gear


Typical winter gear if climbing between Oct. and April.

I also recommend a printed topo (available online) as the topography and different peaks can be confusing.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.