Adams Peak, northwest approach

Adams Peak, northwest approach

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 6, 2019
Activities Activities: Hiking

Adams Peak, approach from Frenchmans Lake

Three mile out and back to summit from a point on Forest Road 24N51XB northwest of the summit. Total elevation gain of 1,650 feet. Total trip time - 3 hours.

Accessed departure point via forest roads 24N88, 24N12X, and 24N15X to 24N51XB from Frenchman Lake perimeter road just before Big Cove campground. Drive requires high-clearance vehicle, and 4WD when wet. From vehicle there was no trail to summit evident or encountered. Made way cross country by skirting and ascending lower promontory to a pass between the promontory and the summit peaks, ascended to high point of pass, then turned right and up to summit area - finding a narrow track likely made by ATVs. The summit area comprises three peaks that appear close in elevation, so tried them all. The northeastern-most promontory contains the monument disk, dated 1947. A summit log container is under rocks at the badge location. Views of HWY 395 corridor up to Topaz Lake and south toward Reno, Mt. Lassen, Sierra Buttes, Sierra Valley, north Tahoe peaks.

Returned the same route.  NOTES:  Encountered bear in meadow in western portion of pass. Very little snow. Only water en-route was very small stream crossing shortly after leaving vehicle. Undergrowth was thick and consistent in places, with lots of manzanita in summit area. Initial ascent was along animal trails through much blowdown. A little Class 2 scrambling up granite ledge of approx. 100 feet to ascend to pass. Saw no one else on mountain on a clear and mild Saturday morning.

 

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Adams PeakTrip Reports