Anaconda

Anaconda

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 4, 2013
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Heading out

I first came across the mountain called Anaconda while perusing Summitpost. (As I often do). I didn't think much of it though until I noticed this distinct pyramidal shaped peak rising up to the west of me while climbing the slopes of Long mt.
The familiar - I must climb that - feeling came over me and after returning home from Long mt. I proceeded to research the what and the how.

A month later I found myself back on the Mt Loop hwy and headed straight for Red Bridge.

The anaconda adventure begins on the River road across from Red Bridge campground and strolls along nicely for about a quarter mile before turning right onto fs rd 4038.


FS road 4038
 





This road deteriorates over the next couple of miles and finally comes to a large washout. No big deal getting through this but another washout soon followed and now my happy progress was turning to frustration. I consulted my map and made the decision to take a more direct route straight up into the woods and off the nasty road. Even though the direct route was unmarked and steep I was traveling through open timber and pleased to be off the windfall laden, sapling choked road.


My route through the woods took me straight up to the ridge and now the snow got deep and soft. It was time for snow shoes and axe. Almost a thousand feet of this? Yep. Suck it up and go. Spring climbing at its best.


Slopes of Anaconda
 



Nothing overly dangerous here though, just frequent breaks for breath.

Finally I broke out of the trees onto the wide open summit area and marveled at the 360 views, well worth the effort.



View from the top
 




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.