Another gorgeous day in the Elks - 4/27/10

Another gorgeous day in the Elks - 4/27/10

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery

Castle Peak strikes again!

We started from the 2WD trailhead at 6:30 and made decent time into the gulch. Routefinding was a challenge due to highly variable snow conditions. Near treeline the N-NE-E-SE-S aspects were sliding--not deep or to the ground but enough to get noticed. Up higher (>12500') the snow was stable on steep W-NW-N aspects. By the time we reached the lake at 13400' the wind was blowing and continued to intensify. Abundant cornices on the saddle between Castle and Conundrum ruled out a summit bid for Conundrum. We focused on gaining Castle's NE ridge. At 13550' we called it quits due to the ridiculous wind.

Despite this it was an incredible day to be in the Elks. The approach to Castle is spectacular with all the snow and a welcome change in scenery from the Sawatch.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 11, 2013 10:14 am - Voted 10/10

Nice album

but what is it doing in Marin County?

metal4lyf

metal4lyf - Dec 11, 2013 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice album

Hi there. According to the album history, you attached it to Marin County today.

This Was Attached | As A | By User | On
Marin County Mountains | Parent | Noondueler | 2013-12-11

Feel free to detach, or I can do it.


Cheers
michael

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice album

Thanks Micheal. Don't know how it happened. Go ahead and detach it.

metal4lyf

metal4lyf - Dec 11, 2013 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice album

Done. =)

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.