Appalachian Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.21780°N / 74.7205°W
Additional Information Route Type: rocky uphill trail
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Parking int the AT Trail Access lot, you'll walk to the northwest corner to find the Appalachian Trail. Turn right (northbound) and follow 5.6 miles. You'll pass the Gren Anderson thru-hiker shelter at about 1.6mi (aka the Deertick Hilton), then onto the Normanook Fire Tower with great views and a usually friendly ranger, then on to the summit.

Route Description


The trail twists through the woods from the parking lot. Bear have been sighted in this area, so keep alert. After you cross a paved road, you'll start upward over some rocky enclaves. This will take you to the ridge that you'll cross over several times before reaching your destination. Blueberries and mountain laurel surround the trail, but beware of copperheads in the rocks.

Essential Gear


Gaiters....bug spray....and a good pair of boots (sneakers are not gonna survive the rocks).
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.