Approach from Heiligenblut

Approach from Heiligenblut

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.07640°N / 12.93750°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, easy glacier hiking, easy climbing UIAA I
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

The Kleinfeisstal valleyThe Kleinfeisstal valley

The starting point is the village Heiligenblut. From Heiligenblut you drive on Glocknerstrasse to the first big turn and ther you turn right to the smaller road and you drive over this road to the altitude of 1700m. There is a big parking place.

Route Description

Hocharn (3254m) seen from the ZirmseeHocharn (3254m) seen from the Zirmsee
A scheme of the route from the south.A scheme of the route.

From the parking place you start hiking on the nice macadam road. It is very comfortable if you have a mountain bike and you drive on it all road to the altitude almost 2600m. It is very useful on the descent. But if you don`t have bike and if you are in a hurry you can use the marked route which is steeper but a bit quicker.

You come over the macadam road to the lake Zirsmsee, 2560m. From here you go by the east side of lake to the end where we cross a brook. When come almost to the west side of the lake we must find the best passage on the glacier slopes below the south face of Hocharn. On the altitude around 2800m we cross these slopes in the east direction to the SE ridge of Hocharn above the notch Goldzechscharte, 2859m. From here we have to the summit around 400 meters. We ascend over the rocky ridge, on some places we have to climb a bit. Around 200 meters below the summit you have to ascend over the western part of the glacier Hocharn Kees. Be careful on possible crevasses.

We descend by the same route.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes, ice axe and crampons and other main hiking gear.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

HocharnRoutes