Aquaknobby

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.84650°N / 119.4418°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Aquaknobby is a three-pitch trad climb on cracks and knobs. The first pitch is very runout, but there is good protection on the second and third. This route does not get any sun until early afternoon, making it a good morning climb in July and August, but very cold during other times.

Getting There

Park at the east end of Pywiack Dome in an obvious turnout. Hike up over boulders and slabs to the base of the climb.

Route Description

Pitch one: Climb up a streak of 5.6 knobs with no protection to a ledge that you mantle onto and then belay from an alcove.

Pitch two: Climb up a left-facing corner into a section of knobs (5.9). Above this a bolt protects some 5.8 slab just below the obvious left-leaning crack that you follow to the top. Once you reach the crack, follow it to a large ledge.

Pitch three: Follow the crack, with one section of 5.8+, to the summit.

Essential Gear

Full trad rack to 2" or 2.5". All belays are with gear.

Descend by rapping 40' off the east side of the dome and then walking around the base to the car.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.