Aqueduct (Normal) Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 16.34103°S / 68.11562°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow/Glacier Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F; Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Laguna Zongo, start hiking on the Aqueduct at the Hydroelectric plant. Hike on the Aqueduct for 2-2.5 miles. You will begin hiking east on the Aqueduct. It then turns southeast, before heading due east again. A major gully is encountered as it bears east again, and a stream crosses the aqueduct here. The aqueduct then makes several turns and bends before you arrive at the second major gully. The second (correct) stream crosses the aqueduct here. The aqueduct will start bearing north/northeast shortly after this also.

If you pass or reach any lakes along the Aqueduct, or if you start traveling north along the aqueduct, you went too far. Turn around and find the gully that leads to Charquini.


Route Description


The route is fairly straight forward. After determining you have reached the second stream crossing at the second main gully, leave the aqueduct and start hiking south/southeast up the slope towards Charquini. Hiking south up the slope, you will reach Charquini's glacier in about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile or so. After accessing the glacier, hike up towards a saddle on the glacier. The peak on the right (west) is the summit. At the saddle, head right (west). You'll get off the glacier and it's about a 30-40 minute rock scramble to get to the summit. There are two summit blocks. Both have cairns on them, and both seem to be of equal height.

Essential Gear


Ice Axe and crampons. While crevasses are not problematic and are very small on Charquini, we brought a rope and our glacier gear to practice glacier travel skills.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.