Ascending the east approach to Mount Sunflower

Ascending the east approach to Mount Sunflower

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 12, 2011

Mt Sunflower Summit
 As I was driving from Missouri to Colorado Along I-70 I had planned to try to pick up one more Highpoint along the way.  A good way to stop and stretch my legs after the grueling drive through nothingness that I like to call Kansas.  I hadn't gotten the Kansas Highpoint yet so I figured as I was driving through I would add this one to my list making it my 7th State highpoint achieved.  I will admit I wasn't that excited about this was as it was a drive up and I had generally planned my highpoints to avoid the roads and attempt to actually "climb" them as much as I could but this one was unavoidable.  There was nothing to climb it was going to be a drive up.  It was made much more interesting by the fact that the owners of the land that the highpoint sits on have embraced the absurdity of hundreds of people flocking to this gentle rise in the middle of a field and did a great job on their highpoint monument.  It is actually my favorite so far.  There is a register and a book with a fun reading about the highpoint as well.  I took some pictures so you can see what they wrote.  Overall I was impressed by the time they took to make it a special highpoint and I think you will agree if you ever make it there.

Summit register at Mt Sunflower
Summit register at Mt Sunflower

You can read more about the trip as well as a trip I took to Monument Rocks (Chalk Pyramids) with a bunch more pictures on my blog here...
http://outdooroutlier.blogspot.com/2015/04/kanas-highpoint-mount-sunflower-and.html

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
crussellbowden

crussellbowden - Jan 12, 2016 2:14 am - Voted 7/10

Thanks

Doing this tomorrow on the way to CO...looking at it from the same perspective as you (apprehensively), so thanks for putting a positive spin on it! I bet you'd like Nebraska a lot; it sounds similar and I was surprised at how pleased I was at such an uneventful place.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount SunflowerTrip Reports