Ashes on Haut de Cry

Ashes on Haut de Cry

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.24000°N / 7.19000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 18, 2003
On this splendid day I took the train and local busses from Bern to Ovronnaz, which takes more than 3 hours. I climbed to Col de la Forcla and reached the summit over the NW side after 4 hours. As this summer was incredibly hot, all the snow was gone and I had to walk for hours and hours on loose rubble. After a long break on the summit, I descended on the NE side (Combe d'Einzon) and reached L'Airette, 1700 metres lower, with tired knees. Four men in their forties or fifties were relaxing next to their 4x4 car. The ice axes made it obvious that they had been on Haut de Cry, too. They gave me a lift to Ardon and it turned out that they had climbed Hau de Cry's South wall to spread ashes on the summit. The father of one of them, an expert chamois hunter, had passed away recently and it was his wish that his remains should be placed atop his favorite summit.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Haut de CryTrip Reports