Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 28, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
 
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
 
 
My twin daughters (age 11) led a trek to the summit of Avalanche Peak (elevation of approximately 10,565 ft) on August 28, 2013.  Research indicated that this hike would be a good fit for us during our visit to Yellowstone National Park -- not too long, not too short and with a payoff of spectacular views, so we expected.  That all proved to be the case.  We prepared for and were blessed with a great experience. 
 
The trek took just under 5 hours total (including about 45 minutes at the peak).  My daughters are fit and semi-experienced hikers (on the flatland/hills of the midwest).  What makes the hike to the summit of Avalanche Peak a bit of a challenge is that the upclimb is more or less continuous at about a 15 degree incline.  But the hike is short -- total distance round trip of about 5.3 miles according to my GPS.  
 
The trail passes through bear-frequented terrain so we were told by park staff (grizzly bears apparently love to eat the nuts of the higher-altitude whitebark pine trees along the trail).  We made noise and were carrying bear spray.  The only relevant sighting was of bear scat near the trail head.  (No one minded that the bear spray never left the holster.)
 
My daughters showed nothing less than enjoyment (along with determination) on this trek -- their first hike to a summit peak.  The scenery along the trail varies frequently enough to captivate.  And fatigue experienced on the final approach to the peak magically is transformed to euphoria/energy at the peak.  On the summit push, my daughters were tired but never stalled and when they got to the false summit at the front of the peak they were energetically excited and determined to push to the summit.    
 
The views from the summit are spectacular.  Much of Yellowstone National Park is visible as well as all of the surrounding peaks (including the distant peaks of Grand Teton National Park).  The sociable chipmunk who visited with us at the peak was a bonus.  We stayed perhaps a bit too long on the summit and as a result were pelted on the initial downclimb while still above the treeline with a burst of rain/hail that lasted about 15-20 minutes.
 
It was an experience -- and achievement -- that my daughters (and I) will always remember.

 

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Avalanche PeakTrip Reports