Bald Creek Rd

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.64740°N / 82.8899°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Bald Creek Rd, south of the bald, take exit 24 (NC 206) on I-40. Go north on NC 206, take R onto Upper Crabtree Rd, and a L onto Bald Creek Rd.Go 3.2 miles to the turnout past Indian Branch. Unfortunately the land, like much in the NC mountains, has been sold to a Florida developer and is being developed. Future access via this route is uncertain. When I hiked this route in March 2007, the heavy eqipment on the mountain was impressive. It was dark by my arrival to Crab Orchard Fields. It began raining atop Sandymush. A GPS is recommended if climbing in the rain after dark.

Route Description

The trail from Bald Creek follows a logging road to Crab Orchard Fields, which sits on the ridgeline between Crabtree Bald (5340 ft) and Sandymush Bald. The logging road is being greatly improved to Crab Orchard Fields A primitive road then follows the ridgeline or around the small peaks NW to Sandymush Bald. There are a maze of logging roads on this mountain.

Red tape

As this hike access is on private land permission should be obtained from somebody. (see above)

Essential Gear

USGS 7.5 Quads Fines Creek and Sandymush

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.