Ben Nevis Pony Track

Ben Nevis Pony Track

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 56.79749°N / 5.01457°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 22, 2017
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Ben Nevis Mountain Track

Pony Track – labeled as Mountain Track on Harvey Ben Nevis Superwalker XT25
Glen Nevis Parking Lot SignGlen Nevis Parking Lot Sign

In spite of Nanuls’ disdain for this route we found it to be an enjoyable hike up into the ubiquitous mist. A lot of construction has improved this path to withstand the level of traffic.
ConstructionLooking back to Glen Nevis trailhead with the construction in the foreground

Note, It costs 3 pounds to park at the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre parking lot. The ticket machines don’t take the new pound coins. The ticket machine closest to us didn’t take two pound coins either. I had new but no old pound coins. After walking around the lot I found a machine that accepted 2 pound coins, so for 4 pounds we were legally parked. On our return I suggested at the Visitor Centre they warn people of this on the web site. She replied they have lots of coins to exchange. They weren’t there at 5:30 am when we arrived. I realize people typical start later with the late sunsets, but the forecast was showing an early weather window that day. The Visitor Centre at Glen Nevis is under construction. A temporary Visitor Centre was operating out of a construction trailer.
Red BurnLooking up the gulley known as Red Burn

There is also some construction where the trail from the Visitor Center meets the trail from Ben Nevis Inn. Pay attention to small temporary signs to avoid hiking towards the Youth Hostel. After this the main trail is fairly straightforward and very well constructed. The next side trail to the Youth Hostel likely won’t fool you, just keep going up. The next major intersection is above Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe. If it’s clear, the right turn to keep going up will be obvious.
Lochan Meall an t-SuidheLochan Meall an t-Suidhe

Ben Nevis MistBen Nevis Mist above the intersection

The trail braids during the last couple hundred metres below the summit. Watch for large cairns. We were able to see from one cairn to the next in the mist. You’ll know when you’ve found the summit because of several structures including the trig point.
Ben Nevis CairnCairns - getting closer to the summit

Ben Nevis RuinsThese ruins provide some windbreak on the summit

Ben Nevis HutThis hut is on the summit. I did not check the door to see the condition.

Ben Nevis Summit Trig MarkerBen Nevis Summit - Survey Station

Ben Nevis Mountain TrackLooking down Red Burn - you can see the old trail and the new trail.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ben NevisTrip Reports