Bergen Peak, from trailhead off of Stagecoach Blvd.

Bergen Peak, from trailhead off of Stagecoach Blvd.

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.66620°N / 105.3952°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route up Bergen Peak is 4.7 miles long (one way) and has an total elevation gain of about 2,700 feet. Trailhead elevation is 7,760 feet.

Getting There

From Denver take I-70 to the Evergreen Parkway exit (exit 252) and head south on CO 74 for about 5 1/2 miles to the stoplight at Stagecoach Blvd. This corner has an Albertson's grocery store on the NW corner and a REMax real estate office on the SE corner. Here turn west (right) and go about 1 1/4 miles to a smaller parking area on the north side of the road. This parking area has toilets, but no water.

Bergen Peak trailhead off of Stagecoach BlvdBergen Peak trailhead that is off of Stagecoach Blvd.

Route Description

From the parking lot head north for a short distance. Shortly the trail turns towards the northeast. After going around a ridge for 0.3 miles, and gaining a little elevation there is a trail junction. This section of the trail is open to the south, is through a fairly open ponderosa pine forest and can be quite warm on a sunny day.

At this junction head left, going on the north side of the previously mentioned ridge, along the Meadow View Trail going through a pine forest for 0.7 miles to another junction. This section of the trail is relatively flat, gaining a some elevation along the way.

This second junction if you are not paying attention can be missed since the Bergen Peak Trail, takes a sharp left turn off of the Meadow View Trail. Take the Bergen Peak Trail as it switchbacks up to a ridge in which the trail follows for awhile. After about 1.2 miles you will enter the Bergen Peak Wildlife Area. During hunting season hunting is permitted in this area so wear hunter orange during October and November. The parts of this trail that have a northern exposure are through dense douglas fir forests, and parts of this trail that have a southern exposure are through relatively open ponderosa pine forest.

Open ponderosa pine forestOpen ponderosa pine forest with southern exposure


Two and seven tenths of a mile after the last trail junction you come to yet another trail junction. The left trail takes you the last mile to the summit. This part of the trail goes through aspen groves and douglas fir forests. At first it heads due west, and goes up a series of switchbacks, before angling off to the north and then back to the west before circling around the western side of the summit, approaching the summit from the west.

Aspen grove on Bergen PeakAspen grove


There is a well maintained trail the entire way to the summit.

Essential Gear

Nothing beyond decent hiking shoes.

External Links

Elk Meadow Jeferson Co. Open Space map

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.