Big Rock Trail.

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.18010°N / 82.6342°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike.
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From 276 take Cascade Lake Road to the Corn Mill Shoals Access Area.

Route Description

Cross the road (Cascade Lake Road) from the Corn Mill Shoals Access Area and parking lot. The trailhead for the Corn Mill Shoals Trail is directly across the road. After less than 1/10 of a mile, the Big Rock Trail begins on the left. Take that, climbing moderately through oaks and pines and some vigorous rhododendron.
Very well maintained trails...Great trails in Du Pont State Forest.

Pass the peak of Big Rock (2,941 feet) on the right, a short bushwhack offtrail. Contine on for about half a mile until you reach the ridgeline after some very moderate to easy climbing. Begin to see exposed granite domes and the rare plant communities that thrive here.
Rare and fragile plant...Rare mosses.

Stay on the trail and don't trample these fragile plants. Continuing along, you will see lots of exposed rock with great views to the left and right. Pass over the forested summit of Big Knob, descened to Wolfpen Gap
The trail that leads up to...Trail over the bare rock.

and back to more exposed rock and the intersection with the Cedar Rock Trail. Either follow your map to make one of several combination loops with other trails, or backtrack to your vehicle. Round trip is about a mile and a half, with 400 feet of elevation gained.

Trail sign on the south...Well marked trails.

Essential Gear

Boots, hiking staff, appropriate clothing. Take water. There are some streams at the beginning of the trail, if you want to treat or filter your water.

Trail Map

Trail MapTrail Map.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.